The Uimate Role-Playing Group Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Curiosity Killed The Catfish R/rated

2 posters

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Curiosity Killed The Catfish  R/rated - Page 4 Empty Re: Curiosity Killed The Catfish R/rated

Post by questor Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:10 am

Well at least they had a courtship of sorts, though some seemed to be fairly short. He had the necklace that he figured would be something that none other had so it would be one of a kind type thing. But he still had his doubts about Syrenne even accepting it. Yes they had spend some time talking but only a couple of days.

He also wondered if indeed it was possible for her to be able to come onto land and shed her tail and use legs instead. The X-rays showed the one dead merman had actual legs and feet surrounded by the tail. If she could then the two of them could spit their time between the sea and land. Visit both worlds and try to bring both peoples together more.

He exused himself and left Hector and swam to the surface where. He retrieved the necklace from his cabin and explain to his father about the King and what had happened. His father raised a brow about him and Syrenne. "It is the only way to help Hector and his people." Merlin told him. "This is an opportunity to mend the breach between our people as well.

Again he dove off the ship and returned to the great hall and Hector. He wondered where Syrenne had gotten off to.

questor

Male Number of posts : 2156
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Curiosity Killed The Catfish  R/rated - Page 4 Empty Re: Curiosity Killed The Catfish R/rated

Post by LadyRaven Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 am

While Merlin was away collecting his offering, Hector sat in silence to consider the ramifications of what he and the ground dweller had discussed. The option of pairing them was extreme in any sense and the results of it would also be as extreme if not more so. They were treading a very fine line just talking about it and when the King found out, it would surely mean open war between the Spire and Jakar. But it would be war anyway. Hector knew that it wouldn't be much longer before Lukas learned the truth of Syrenne's birth-right. Lukas' father and grandfather had been ruthless in killing off the original bloodline and Hector imagined Lukas would be no different. Either way, his hand would be forced and if he didn't act soon, it would be too late.

Pairing with Merlin would insure Syrenne's safety as Hector knew the ground dweller cared for the maid. He would take her to land and out of Lukas' reach. And knowing the science behind Merlin's abilities, it was likely Syrenne could be altered to live on land. That way, she would be safe for her entire lifetime and the destruction of the Spire would never reach her. The alternative was just as extreme to Hector and he hated himself for even thinking it.

Before Syrenne had pulled her little stunt, Lukas had shown a great deal of interest in the maid and her unique state of mind. A compromise could be made that would see the Spire survive but under Jakar's rule and at the cost of Syrenne's freedom. Could he live with himself if he handed his best friend's daughter over to the King? Even if it meant saving the Spire? And what would all that do to Syrenne herself? What would she want? Hector tried to imagine how she would feel about this. She loved the Spire, had grown up there and it would kill her to see it destroyed. In the end, it was her choice what she would do, but deep down, Hector knew she would sacrifice herself if it meant her beloved home could survive.

Before he knew it, Merlin had returned and Hector tried to clear his face of the sorrow of his thoughts and smile at the young male. He made to ask if he could see the offering, but before he could open his mouth, a scout came rushing in. "Sir!" The young male called, "Sir, there are banners coming up from the South."
Merlin was all but forgotten for the moment, "What banners?" Hector asked quickly.
"Royal." The scout said, "And a maid's image."
Hector felt his heart sink and cast a quick glance to Merlin. "Syrenne?" He asked, already knowing the answer.
"Yes." The scout told him.
"How long until the party reaches the Spire?" Hector asked.
"Less than a day." The scout said quickly, then looked at Merlin with fear. "If they spot the vessel, we're done for."
Hector turned to Merlin and worked his jaw. Indeed, if Lukas saw the ship, any idea of a peaceful talk would be out of the question and any advantage Merlin could provide would be useless. "Merlin, you need to get yourself and your vessel to safety." He said with concern. "If you head to the North side of the Spire, you can hide the shadow among the reed columns there. The currents are fierce, but if you can secure your anchor line, your vessel should survive. If Lukas sees any sign of you here, it could be open war and we're not ready for that." He turned back to the scout. "Where is Syrenne?"
"She's near the moss rocks at the base of the Spire." The scout told him, "Or she was the last time anyone saw her."
Hector nodded, "Find her and hide her until we know how the sea lays with the King." He turned back to Merlin then as the scout left and it was clear the old merman was nervous.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Female Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:27 am

Merlin listened to the report and then what Hector said. "I think he already knows about my ship. Syrenne came and warned us and we sailed here. I would assume that since he is comming here that he figures she was brought home." he told Hector. "Moving the ship would not do anything but make him go look for it."

Merlin's mind again was filled with ideas. One was an outrageious one. Well all of them were. He could have the crew don the special suits and tanks of special breathing mixture that would allow them to join him for a couple hours at least, more if they brought extra tanks down. They were sailors but more then that as well. They knew the sea, most were divers and use to working under water. They had been doing what Merlin was and other things as well before he was adapted to the sea. They were no strangers to the depths and they could fight underwater as well. Equipped with air pressured spear guns they could shoot their metal spears a good distance and with accuracy. Also they were like Merlin, trained in underwater hand to hand combat with knives. Merlin had not seen any of Hector's men armed with anything resembling a knife. If he was right, then neither would the King or his men. Which brought another thought to mind.

He could have some of the crew decend and be his guard as it was and prepared to join Hector and his men in battle, if necessary. Then there was the Challange. The old stone tablets mentioned it. Any could challange the "King" for the right to rule. It had been a custom he figured way back at the beginning of their land dwelling days when the right to rule went to the strongest.

Merling told Hector of his thoughts about his men and then told him. "If it comes down to it I will Challange him to the Right to Rule. You have, as the leader of your people, accepted me as one of you. That gives me the right to challange him." he grinned. "Also if Syrenne accepts my gift she has more or less accepted me as a suitor and it will be a choice for the king to accept my challange or be seen as a coward and lose the loyalty of any that support him."

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:06 am

Hector listened carefully as Merlin explained some of his ideas. Having his crew come down here with their equipment would be a good idea, but at the same time, there were many in the Spire that remembered the horror stories of such men. "It would be a good idea." He told the ground dweller, "But it could inspire fear in my people when they see your men. Many were raised on the tales of the machines ground dwellers used to capture us and kill us. Such sights may cause more problems than solve them. And the King would have all the reason he needs to declare outright war with your people. Your vessels would be attacked without warning no matter if they were affiliated with you or not. I'm not prepared to go down that route."

He then considered Merlin's other idea. It was even more extreme than the previous and he made an audible shudder to show this. Such a challenge hadn't been made for hundreds if not thousands of years. Hector had never known such a challenge be made in his lifetime and neither had his father, grandfather or ancestors before that. "You realise that if you did make a challenge to him, it would never be recognised by those in Jakar. If you lost, it would mean certain destruction for the Spire. Even if you won, it would still mean open war. The king may not be entirely loved by the people, but he has the absolute loyalty of the armies and the council. They would send the entire military might in response to his victory or deposition, it doesn't matter. were you to put a challenge to him, would you take on his entire council and military might as well?" He began to pace as he considered yet more options.

"Perhaps there would be a way to challenge him, but it would put Syrenne in the middle of it and in danger." He looked at Merlin squarely. "As the rightful heir, she could challenge him and Jakar would have no choice but to accept it. If you were paired, you could act as her champion and bring him down that way, but like I said, it would put Syrenne in danger. And if you lost, her life and the Spire would be forfeit. Either way, I see a war coming and as yet, we still haven't figured what Syrenne would say about any of this."....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:03 am

That was true, but Merlin felt that from what she had told him, she didn't like the King and he doubted that she would accept his image of her. Her actions alone would probably cause a war between the Spire and Jakar. But they needed to ask her what her thoughts were. "I think we need to send for Syrenne then." he smiled and showed him the gift. "See if she will accept it and my proposal."

He had met the people leaving the Spire for Jakar and found out about Merlin. He was furious and troubled. This put a whole new light on the situation. Merlin was not just some surface dweller infatuated with the maid, but one that could live under water. Mankind had discovered the means to adapt to the sea as his ancestors had. This made them even more dangerous.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:22 am

Hector nodded in agreement and sent a guard to bring Syrenne to them in the grand hall. While they waited, Hector regarded the necklace. It was certainly beautiful, there was no doubt of that. His only comparison to what Syrenne would think of it was what his own mate had once thought. "Meisha would have loved this." Hector said to Merlin. "She loved anything unique and I can honestly say, I've never seen anything quite like this before. Syrenne is also a lover of unique things. I think she will accept this with pride." He smiled to Merlin with hope.

The time passed, but as yet, there was no sign of the guard or Syrenne. Nearly five hours passed before the guard returned and he didn't look happy. "What is it?" Hector asked impatiently.
"We've looked all around the Spire and we can't find her." The guard said with some worry. "I sent two lower ranks to the shoals, but they couldn't find her either. Nobody has seen her since the moss rocks and she didn't tell anyone she was going or where. I've sent scouts out to the hundred league marker, but only one hasn't returned yet and none of the others have seen her either."
"This is very bad!" Hector said with rising panic. Just then, the last scout returned and Hector was quick to pounce on him. "Did you find her?"
"No Sir." The scout said breathlessly, "I went all the way to the marker, but I couldn't see her anywhere. Are you sure she wasn't just in her hole, Sir?"
"It's been checked twice." Said the guard to Hector, "She wasn't there."
"Where the hell is she then?!" Hector boomed, "Lukas will be here by dawn. We must find her before then!" The guard and the scout both darted away and Hector turned to Merlin with real panic in his eyes now. "We must find her." He said with urgency.

Well past the league markers, Syrenne had allowed herself to drift in the currents while she caught fish. She knew it was dangerous and it would take her a good number of hours to get home again, but she felt she had to disappear for a while. So much had happened over the last few days and it had overwhelmed her. She didn't know what to think anymore. Hector was in such a panic over the King and Merlin.... Syrenne had a lot of thoughts about him. She'd never known anyone like him before and not just because he was a ground dweller either. Most mermen were full of themselves in their younger years and so committed to their own agendas, it was hard to stand being near them. Perhaps that was why she'd never taken a liking to Adien's brother Shane. To her, if his head was too far up his own arse. Of course, this had angered Sharok and his wife terribly, but it hadn't impacted on her friendship with Adien. her thoughts went back to Merlin again and she couldn't help but smile. He was kind and handsome and he cared about her, about everyone at the Spire. He genuinely wanted to learn about her and know her and she liked that. She remembered she had been a little embarrassed at seeing her image on his vessel, but spending those days with him on the way home had been an eye-opener for her. She genuinely liked him a lot. Just then, a small school of tuna shot past her vision and she went after it.

With the royal party, a scout returned with incredible news for the King. First though, he had to report to his senior rank. "Sir." He said, "I've spotted a maid past the league marker."
"Elaborate." The senior rank ordered.
"She's the maid of the banner." The scout said with a grin, "And she's out here all on her own."
"Excellent!" The senior rank said, "I shall report this to the King immediately." He turned back and went to the royal group. He bowed his head with great respect tot he young King and smiled. "I have good news, Sire." He said with pride, "The young maid has been spotted off the league marker. She is unguarded and alone."
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 am

That was not good news. Talking a bit more with Hector he found out it would be a good 4 hours swim to the marker beyond where she had been last seen. By then the King's men might spot her and try to capture her. Now he wished he had given her a wrist com. He shook his head. Now that would have been an even more unique gift to her.

"There is only one thing that might get me there faster. It is aboard my ship." It was used for recreational use or for a fast rescue mission if a man went overboard or a another ship was in trouble and they had to evacuate the crew. "Prepare the jet ski." he spoke into his wrist com. "Coming back up, we have a situation here that needs speed." he then took off his wrist com and handed it to Hector and showed him how to use it. "I will get another on the ship. This way I can let you know if I find her."

He was then swimming hard for the surface and as soon as he was aboard he grabbed another wrist com and sat down on the Jet Ski and gunned it, as it was launched from the deck. It was fast, alot faster then he could swim. At the same time his father gave orders to follow at flank speed. The propellers were extended and the engine engaged and the ship began plowing through the water in the same direction Merlin had gone.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:28 am

The guard stared at his King, waiting for the merman to answer him. "Sire?" He asked, "Shall I send out a skirmish to capture her for you? Sire, your orders?"

Hector stared at the communicator with a raised eyebrow. He'd ever seen anything like it and when Merlin explained what it did, he was even more confused. He said nothing though and let Merlin go. But did he know which marker to head for? The scouts had said nothing to actually having seen her beyond them, so how would he know which one to look for? Ten minutes later, Hector heard the roar of the jet ski and he covered his ears. Many around the Spire shot into their homes doing the same thing and Hector had to remind himself that ground dwellers didn't understand the way sound travelled in water. Not long after that, another roar joined the first and he looked up to find the vessel following the wake of the jet ski. All he could do was hope Merlin found her before anyone else did. He couldn't live with himself if Syrenne got hurt or stolen....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:48 am

Merlin had no idea of which marker or direction that had been discussed. But some how he knew, he knew which direction to go and that was south, towards the oncoming King and his men. The Jet Ski carried him fast across the ocean, The Lady of the Sea but a dot on the horizon.

"Yes send out a unit and bring her here." commanded the King. Things were working out quite well after all it seemed. The maid was almost within his grasp. Once in his grasp, he would present her with his gifts and hint at what might happened to the Spire if she did not accept. He had to think of a way to make her understand with out outright threatening her.

The merman took four others with him to go fetch Syrenne. They were armed with tridents. They were sure that they would find her and bring her back to the King. Even though they did not know why he wanted this one so badly. She had basicly shunned him already, had made rude remarks about the city and palace, and she had warned the surface dweller ship. What did he see in this maid. There were many that would have jumped at the chance to mate with him.

The merman in charge of the group had no real love for Lukus. He was the king and that was the only reason he served him. He had eliminated any that might have had a claim to the throne in his taking the throne. He thought that Lukus was to into himself and cared not for the welfare of the people of Jakar. But he was the King and he was obligated to serve and obey the ruler.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:05 am

Hector stared as the wake disappeared and the roar of the machines began to drift into echo in the water and against the rocks. He began to pray quietly and then went back into the main hall.

Syrenne continued to chase the tuna unaware of the coming skirmish from one direction and Merlin with his machine coming from the other. As the school turned, Syrenne turned with them and was almost within reach of a big one. She smiled as she reached out, hoping to snatch it before the school turned again. Syrenne and the skirmish were now swimming right for each other.

"Fan out." The general ordered and the skirmish parted to cover more distance. "Wait until she's immersed in the school." They did so and before Syrenne knew it, she'd swam right into a devastating trap. With their tridents out and waving around, the tuna closed ranks until they were a tight fish ball and Syrenne was right in the middle of it. Finally, the general darted through, avoiding the sharp fins of the tuna and grabbed at Syrenne's tail.

In both shock and pure terror, Syrenne screeched and howled at being caught. All she could see were swarming tuna until she finally looked back and saw a large hand clasped tightly about the ankle between her tail and lower fins. Whether it be panic or primal nature, she turned sharply and started to attack the hand. As she did so, another hand shot through the wall of swirling scales and grabbed at her hair. She began to twist and roll and the fish began to scatter. Her sharp nails found purchase a few times and two of the skirmish had deep scrapes along their gills and arms. The general clawed his way up her luscious tail until he came face to face with her. Syrenne stared at him in pure fear, gasping water through her gills and fighting as best she could. And it was one hell of a fight!!
"My, you really are something." The general said to her, "I can see now why the King wants you so badly." In response, Syrenne snapped her head forward and opened her mouth, meaning to bite him in defense. A male's jaw was stronger, but a female's teeth were sharper.

A chunk of muscle short in his forearm, the general and the skirmish brought Syrenne back to the King's party. All of them were badly scratched and it wasn't just the general with bite marks on his flesh. She was presented as was, the mermen wanting rid of this dangerous young female. Jakar females were never this feral, so it was a bit of a shock to them.

Only when Syrenne saw the banners with her image on them did she stop fighting. Her gills flared open wide as she battled for breath and she began to tremble. The banners had the royal seal on them and so she knew who she was being taken to. Confusion and fear took over from self preservation and she began to cower away as she saw Lukas.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:02 am

Merlin reached the distance where the marker should be and slowed down some. He grabbed his speargun from the jet ski and a quiver of bolts to reload it, then dove into the water. He swam deep looking to see if he could find Syrenne but she was no where in sight. But he did see a school of tuna that seemed very agitated. Something had riled them up.

Then he saw some sharks arriving and swimming around and head off to the south with a purpose. They could smell blood for a very long distance and it looked as if they were on the trail of something. He swam back up and waited for his father to arrive. Twenty men were already dressed in wet suits and had the tanks of special air on their backs and the special masks and helmets for breathing in the deep water. They were armed as he was, a knife made for underwater and the spearguns and quiver of bolts.

His father knew something was up when he came up and took the jet ski and the look on Merlin's face made it clear that trouble was afoot. He had his best ready for anything.

Merlin quickly explained what was happening and what his fears were. "Well son, you are not going alone by no means and there is no more to be said about it. They go with you. Period." Merlin knew his father and when he said no more to be said about it he meant it. Merlin nodded and dove back down, as the twenty men jumped into the water and followed him.

On the surface, the jet ski was recovered, refuled and the ship followed Merlin and the men at a discrete distance. The men faned out in a wedge formation behind Merlin as he swam closer and closer to the royal procession.

Merlin pressed a small button on his wirst com and spoke into it. "Hector, this is Merlin. I think I have an idea of where she is and I am heading there now. Due south towards the oncoming king and his party. He continued to swim as he waited for Hector to reply and soon enough spotted the banner with Syrenne's immage.

Lukas was all smiles when he saw Syrenne. "Calm yourself." he told her, "I am here to present you with this, " he raised a hand to the banner, "and this," he waved his hand to one of his servents who brought forth a necklase of the rarest coral and sea shells in the ocean. He saw the marks on his men and knew just what a fighter she was.

"Sharks" came the warning from those in advance. "Several of them." The voice was almost in panic. Sharks were one of the merfolks most deadly enemies.

Lukas cursed as he knew that the wounded soldiers had lead the sharks right to them. He gave quick orders to deploy his troops and ordered several about him and Syrenne. Servents and others he left to defend for themselves, showing how little he cared for them.

Merlin seen the sharks as well heading towards them. He smiled as a plan of action came to him. He communicated that plan to the men with him and they swam to the right of the royal party and sharks to get behind them as they tried their best to stay out of sight of the merflolk.

Once the soldiers engaged the sharks, using their tridents to poke at them, Merlin and his men swam around the royal party and then swam hard, straight for the King and Syrenne. Two of the men were slightly ahead of Merlin and they hit the guards from behind, hitting them just behind an ear, just hard enough to disorientate them, as Merlin swam between them and grabbed hold of Syrenne, "Swim as you never have before." he whispered as he helped her swim up and away from the King, his men following behind him.

As he swam away he looked back to see a very angry king, but one who did not follow because he was afraid of the sharks. But he also saw two sharks break through the defense line of the soldiers and head for the helpless servents and other merfolk. Letting go of Syrenne, he turned and brought his spear gun up and fired. The air propelled bolt shot through the water hitting one of the sharks just behind the head. It immediately began to thrash around as blood poured from the wound. The other shark immediately saw his companion now as a wounded source of food and attacked it.

Soon the smell of fresh blood made the other sharks move towards the new food source. Merlin's men stopped with him and formed up behind him, their spearguns ready for what ever was to come.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:30 am

Syrenne wasn't entirely sure what was going on. As Lukas offered up his best smile and soothing voice, she stared at the offerings in both fear and confusion. If he wanted her dead for treason, why would he then offer himself as a suitor? Nothing made sense to her and then the sudden, but honestly expected warning of the coming sharks marked an opportunity to get away. However, another school of creatures arrived, throwing the royal guard into panic. Ground dwellers!

Suddenly, Syrenne's felt someone grab her arm and turned to see Merlin. Swim as she'd never done before, he told her and she did just that. With a flick of her fins, she took off and quickly gathered enough speed that she all but left the party behind.

Back at the Spire, Hector received the message on the strange device Merlin had given him, but he'd completely forgotten how to respond on it. He knew that Merlin had shown him, but he just couldn't remember what to do with it. He hoped that whatever Merlin had done had worked and Syrenne would soon be safe back within the Spire.
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:46 am

Merlin had scooped and carried Syrenne off to safety and had put a bit of distance between him and the royal party. The sharks were tearing the wounded one apart, it it looked as if those that had been left to fend for themselves were scared and helpless. Between them and Merlin was the King and his small contengent of troops.

"So the King of Jakar takes to kidnapping maids and forceing his attention upon them. I also see he is a coward, that does not lead his soldiers into battle but cowers behind his soldier's tridents." Merlin spoke out in their language so all of them could hear. The general looked at Lukas a hint of distain on his face. "Even now he cowers there as his people, left to be shark food, still fear for their lives" and he pointed to the ones that were still in danger of the sharks.

At least a few of the soldiers swam around the sharks and to the others to try and defend them. Lukas was livid with rage as Merlin spoke. Merlin knew Hector did not want it known that Syrenne was Grayold's daughter, but since the king already knew he didn't think he would mind. For what would it matter now. "Do you soldiers of Jakar know why he wants this maid so much?" he paused a moment then continued. "He knows that she is the rightful ruler of the Merfolk. That's right, the true Queen of your people. She is the the daughter of Greyold, brother to your former king." At this there were several surprised looks and confusion among the ranks.

"He wishes to legitimize his position as your King by forcing the maid Syrenne to pair with him."

"LIES!" Lukas exploded. "He is a surface dweller and we know how they lie and what they are like." he screamed.

"Oh? Then how about you hear it from one of your own, one that has raised her and knows the truth." At that he could see fear in Lukas' eyes.

"Kill them." ordered the king and he looked at his general.

Merlin waited to see what the general did.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:04 am

At first, the general made to swim forward and do his King's bidding, but the still attacking sharks made sure he turned around.  He ordered a small contingent to surround the unprotected merfolk and ensure the sharks didn't reach them.  That done, he regarded the royal party.  He had trained Lukas in warfare, so knew he could protect himself against the attack.  What concerned him now was just how this ground dweller knew what he did and how he was able to do what he was doing.  For the first time in his career, he questioned the king's rule.

From behind Merlin, Syrenne stared at the scene with fear and shock as she hesitated at first to flee back to the Spire.  She understood most of what was being said, but not the context in which it was done.  She had always known that her father had fled Jakar after the original King had died, but not because he was the King's brother.  She believed he'd fled because he was a royal supporter and the new King had been ruthless in wiping them all out.  To suddenly now learn the real truth, it felt too much for the young maid.

In a sudden flash of fear and panic, Syrenne turned on Merlin and swung her long tail out in his direction.  At the same time, the guards had repelled the sharks and were tending the still frightened party behind the King.  The general squared his shoulders and stared at Merlin with suspicion.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Merlin had thought that Syrenne had did as he had told her, swim as she had never swam before. He figured she would be a good distance away by the time he had made his little speech. More to give her time to get away and keep their attention but yet also to let those with the king know what kind of king they had.

He moved forward a little bit to show he was not afraid of the King or the the soldiers. He felt the movement in the water behind him and he took a quick look behind him, to see Syrenne still there and a frightened look on her face. "It is alright Syrenne." he said in a soft and gentle voice. Then turned back to the King and his General. "Or is the so called King going to try and kidnap the maid again. He saw the look in the General's eyes. But he also noted the hesitation in doing what the king had ordered him to do. There was doubt in his mind, perhaps the glimmer of uncertentcy of the kings right to rule.

He then swam back to Syrenne and taking a deep breath or equivalent underwater, he removed the box from a nylon satchel like thing, and opened it to show her the emerald necklace. He had no idea of any words that needed to be spoken. I am new to all of your customs. Hector has told me some. I hope I am doing this right."

The offering of the gift only put the king in more of a rage. He was about to swim forward and attack Merlin himself, his anger overcoming his cowardice. But the General stopped him. "No sire, you know the customs as well as any other. He has shown his interest in the Maid by painting her image on the hull of his ship. He now bears her a gift. You have done the same. There are two showing intrest in the maid.

The king stopped but his eyes blazed with anger and hatred. All his plans were coming apart.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:14 am

While the king fumed, the general stared at both him and the ground dweller. He began to wonder if it wouldn't have been better to bring Lukas' mother instead. She was the real strength behind the young merman and always had been. Anything the king did always had grounds in ideas Illithia planted there. He wondered what she would say to the situation as he stared at the ground dweller and the offering he made. In the back of his mind, the general thought of his own chances. Knowing who Syrenne was and how unique she was among her flock, it was hard not to. If she truly was the rightful heir, every merman within Jakar would kill to be paired with her. In fact, every male from every colony would want to try. As Hector's ward, the general knew he'd have a war on his hands now regardless of the king.

Across the water, Syrenne stared at the offering and cocked her head to one side. She'd never seen anything like it before. She wanted to touch it and handle it, but doing so might give the impression she'd accepted and she hadn't yet. Her mind was still in a whirlpool of what had happened over the last number of days. Her eyes then lifted to Merlin and he seemed as unsure about it all as she did. "We should go home first." She said to him quietly. "Out here, you might not win a challenge. You know the Spire, he doesn't and Hector will protect us both."......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:09 am

Syrenne was right on one thing, if it came down to it and he had to challange Lukus, the Spire would be the best place to do that. But if she did not accept his gift what would that show those from Jakar. Would it show that she shunned his gift and offer, therefore leaving it open for the King. "Yes that is true." he said and looked back at the King and the others. It was up to her what happened next. What she said and did would set the course of events to come.

"Sir pelimanary reports coming in from the soundings show some promising spots. But it seems that some information has been left off the reports. Possibly to hid a vast rich desposit of something." a man in a suit and tie reported to another sitting behind a large polished wood desk.

"Prepare a company of our finest troops to depart for the coast. Arrange for our own ship to depart port for the area not listed on the reports."

"Yes Sir. " the man said, turned and left the room. The man lit up a cigar and leaned back in his stuffed chair, smiling.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:46 am

Syrenne looked from Merlin to Lukas and then back again. If she took the necklace now, the Lukas would challenge him right then and there and it would be a race and a fight to get back to the Spire. If she didn't, it could well be a fight anyway. Risking it, she reached out and touched the necklace........
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:20 am

An advisor approached the fumming King. "Sire. I beg your indulgence. Your mother sent me along to give you advice, that she would surely give you if she was here. Now is not the time for rash or actions when angered. Already you have set in the mind of the maid and the strange surface dweller that you intended to kidnap her. In the eyes of the people they see this now. There is doubt there, I have seen it in some of their eyes."

He looked back at the soldiers and the others of the royal party. "May I suggest that you invite the stranger to accompany us to the Spire and there you can present your offering to the maid and make you case with her. These surface dwellers possess weapons that are superior to ours. The stranger's penetrated the sharks hide with ease mortally wounded it at a distance. You can see they have several of their deadly bolts at their side."

Lukus even though enraged could hear and understand what the advisor was saying. He was one of his mother's most trusted aids. He looked at the strange weapons and knew it would not go well for him or his soldiers if he attacked. He calmed himself and nodded. "Very well it will be as you advise. Approach the surface dwellers and offer them the offer. I will gurentee his safety and a truce. His ship and fellow surface dwellers may accompany us to the Spire in peace.

The old merman smiled and nodded and then swam to the humans, Merlin and Syrenne. He bowed to Syrenne and Merlin. "A truce is offered. A gesture of good will. King Lukus offers a truce between all those here, to journey to the Spire together. There we will speak with Hector."

Merlin looked at Syrenne. "If that is your wish, it will be done. I will send my men back to the ship and they can sail above us as we travel with the King and his company."

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:29 pm

Syrenne wasn't too sure about the offer of truce. The king had already tried to capture her once. But at least it would be at the Spire where she knew they would have the advantage. After a few minutes of thought, she nodded. "I accept the king's truce." She said eventually. "And we will see him to the Spire under that offer of truce."
"That is very gracious of you." The advisor said with a smile. He bowed again and turned back to the party.

While Syrenne turned to head back, the advisor came to Lukas' side and bowed his head, "They have accepted the truce." He said quietly, "She will lead us into the Spire personally. Sire, perhaps it would be wise for your armed contingent to adopt a more strategic placement once we get there should things turn somewhat sour?" In other words, much like his mother would do, the advisor was telling Lukas to place his soldiers in a prime position to attack should the maid reject him.

Syrenne made the distance quickly with Merlin at her side. All the while, her eyes turned to the bag containing his offering. It was truly something unique and she thought it was beautiful. She wanted to accept it, but Merlin was still a ground dweller and she wondered how it would even work. He couldn't live at the Spire permanently and she couldn't leave the ocean. It had been bad enough on the deck of the ship. She remembered how heavy she had felt and how hot it had been. How could she possibly go on land except in some contraption that could hold her tail comfortably and keep her wet? More importantly, how under the ocean would they actually pair?

All too soon, the Spire was in sight and the main guard were waiting for them. Syrenne was quickly pushed through the rank with merlin close behind. The guard then closed ranks to the following party. Syrenne turned to the general and bowed her head, "They come under an offer of truce." She said to him.
"The party bears your image, young maid." The general said back, "What is this?"
"All will be explained in the main hall. The king has promised peace. Where is Hector?"
"In the main hall, waiting for you and your ground dweller."
Syrenne nodded again and made for the main hall while the party was let through the barricade.

Hector shot from his chair and grabbed Syrenne tightly, hugging her close. She hugged him back and then explained what was happening. Hector nodded and called for his council to convene for the presence of the king and his entourage. Hector took his place in his chair above the floor and waited. Syrenne placed herself to his right as family and Merlin to his left as guest. The council arrived in their finest and took their place at the grand table. Surrounding tables were laid with sea fruits and anemones for refreshment. Everything was ready for the arrival of the King and all were curious to why he was there......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Hector's soldiers were no fools. When the royal troops arrived they closed in on them to prevent them from trying to spread out. Also like it our not the merfolk of the Spire had help from the ground dwellers as well. Twenty men dove into the water from the ship and took up positions to keep an eye on the Royal Troops.

Lukus, the General and the Advisor entered the Grand Hall. Behind them was a few of those of the kings royal servents. The General had seen the herding of his troops and the arrival of Merlin's men. This did not please him as now they did not have any advantage at all. The old advisor looked a bit nervous as well. Not all was going as he had hopped. But perhaps he could help convince Hector of the merits of a pairing between Syrenne and Lukus.

Lukus moved forward a smile on his lips but his eyes had no love or friendship in them. "Greetings Hector. I have come to present Syrenne with my gift and seek a pairing with her." his eyes moved over to Syrenne.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:20 am

Hector offered the king the usual respect his position commanded, but he was paying lip service at best. It was clear in the old merman's eyes that Lukas was not only unwelcome here, but unwanted and loathed. "Greetings, Sire." He said coldly. He warmed again as he looked at Syrenne and then nodded as he turned his head to Merlin. He then nodded to the council and they nodded back.

"So you wish to pair with my ward." He said to Lukas. "I would ask why, but we both know it would be pointless. I know why you want to pair with this maid and what you would gain if I allowed it to happen. By your guard alone, I also know that should I refuse, you would have laid siege to the Spire and take both her and it by force." He then smiled, "But as you can see, your soldiers have no advantage and neither do you, Sire." He took great pleasure in saying that last part and it showed. "However, tradition and etiquette according to your station dictate that I put your offer to the council. The final decision, no matter mine or the opinions of the council lay firmly and finally with Syrenne herself. Unlike the council in Jakar, we do not force our opinions on those who are able to form their own. You may address the council at your leisure, Sire." He moved back to sit more comfortably in his chair.

The council elder lifted from his chair and sort of stood on the floor of the council. His tail was bent back slightly at the ankle joint and he held his arms across him with his hands on his opposing elbows. His head was high. He wore the robes of one that was high standing in the court of the original bloodline. On his head, he wore a half helmet that showed he had once commanded the army. The linear ridge was highly polished and reflected the gold that ran through much of the rock around them. "Speak your terms, King Lukas, son of Dracus." He said with pride.

At Hector's side, Syrenne moved just a little closer to him and a little further behind as she waited to hear the king's explanation and wondered what Merlin was making of all this. He'd never seen the council convened on such a scale as this and to be honest, she had still been spawn the last time she saw it.......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Lukus did not like the way things were turning out. His soldiers hemmed in, the stranger Merlin stood beside Hector in a place of honor and respect. Hector did not seem to worried about the surface dweller's ship nor the surface dwellers in their strange garb that allowed them to stay underwater. Like the stranger Merlin, Hector knew already about Syrenne's heritage and he had figured out that he too knew about it.

He looked at Hector and Merlin, the smile on his lips gone now. He turned his attention to the elder and spoke. "When the old King died, there was no one there to take the reigns of rulership, to keep the people united. I stepped in and took the Kingship, with the backing of the council of Jakar. Long have we suffered from the Surface Dwellers." he looked hard and long at Merlin with hatred in his eyes. "Long have I endevored to improve our lives at Jakar and build a force to keep us safe from those not of the oceans."

"I have recently found out that the maid, Syrenne, was of the royal line. In order to prevent a civil war amoung us that would weaken our kind against the surface dwellers, I seek a pairing with her to return her to the royal throne at my side so we can together defend ourselves against the surface dwellers."

Merlin listened to the Kings little speech and knew that he desired nothing more then to legitimize his claim on the throne. His ordering all other outlying communities to Jakar could only mean one thing. He wanted to try and force his will upon Merlin's kind. But he said nothing, biding his time wanting to see what the council did next.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:49 pm

"You mean to legitimise your bloodline." The elder told him flatly. He moved forward then as another stood up and regarded the king. This elder was female and her age was clear. Her finery hid her scarred gills and missing scales, but her hairless head and mottled face told plenty.

"There was no civil war between us and Jakar." She said with a sneer, "Until your father came along and usurped the original bloodline. I was a royalist and I stood with Greyburn, the true king of our people." She moved forward, showing yet more historical damage. She regarded Merlin not with hate like before, but still with caution. "Dracus made sure you would fill the gap his murderous schemes made. Greyold was forced to leave, spirited away from Dracus in the night with barely the scales on his back. There never was a civil war, Lukas, son of Dracus. Only the treachery of Dracus and his cohorts." That much done, she backed off and yet another came forward.

He was the youngest of the council, but he had been chosen for a good reason. "If what you say is true, King Lukas, son of Dracus, then why have Merlin's people not attacked us or betrayed us to the rest of his kin?" he asked. An incredibly astute question, "And why do you seek a pairing now? Your bloodline, thanks to your mother Illithia has already been given the providence that you require to keep the throne in your family. Pairing with the spawn of Greyold would not carry that much weight, unless your hold of your throne is tenuous. Tell me, Lukas, son of Dracus, is Jakar at risk of being without its king? Is this maid, though royal by blood, but born of the lowly and forgotten fortress, your only option to cement your reign?"

"And what of your amassing army, Sire?" Came a fourth voice, but this was not of a council member. This one came from one that was only there to witness the king's presence in such a forgotten place. "And coming here with such a large contingent of soldiers. Merlin and his people have shown nothing cut curiosity and respect of us. He came to learn from us and understand the way we live, not to attack and pillage our homes like his ancestors did. He has earned his place in the Spire. What have you earned, Sire?".....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:38 pm

Merlin listened and was surpprised at what the elders said about him and about the King. He had not thought that the elders would have accepted him as did the younger generation. They had been through the troubled times between the surface dwellers and them. It also seemed that they knew more then he had thought. The King was evidently not as secure as he thought on the throne of Jakar.

"I amass an army to defend our people against the surface dwellers. You say that this Merlin has earned a place here in the Spire, that he and those with him have offered not threat to you and has come to learn our ways. That may be so, but is that true for all his people? Are they all like him in this respect? I say no and that is why we must have an army.

As for pairing with the maid Syrenne, once all knows who she is there will be those that would want her so they can lay claim to the throne. Again this could cause a civil war." he was not about to mention that his father had not quite made his postion as secure as it seemed. Even though he had bribed and manipulated the council of Jakar if word of the true heir reached certain people before he paired with here, there might be problems.

Merlin was not sure of protacol in such maters as this, but he stepped forward and turned to the council and bowed low at the waist as a sign of deep respect for them. "If I may speak and ask a few questions."

There were nods of approval from the council. "I do not fully understand your ways yet. I am still learning and probably have much to learn yet, as your people here have much to learn about mine. Among my people, a person does not kidnap another or have others kidnap them and have that person brought to them to force their way upon them." He looked at the General, "Was Syrenne in any danger when your men found her?"

The General lookes a bit nerveous. "No." he answered.

"Did she want to return with you to the king?" Merlin asked.

The general looked at the king then the council, "No."

"Did she fight your men to the best of her ability, showing them she did not want to go with them."

"Yes." the General answered.

"What were their orders, and why did they try to take her by force." Merlin asked.

He definately did not want to answer, but he was before a council elders. "The Maid had been spotted alone and they were ordered to bring her to the King

The King's eyes blazed with anger, but he could not say nothing at the moment. He now realized that he had made a great mistake in sending men to bring the maid to him.

"Then your men took her by force on orders from your king. You kidnapped her. Is that the way of the men of Jakar? To kidnap the maid they want and force her to mate with them?

"Of course not!" the General said indignently.

"Then why did you take her by force?" Merlin asked.

The General lowered his head, "I was following orders. Orders from my king."

All eyes fell on the king then. As I said, I am not well aquainted with your ways and I ask you should it not be up to the people here and at Jakar to decide who it the rightful ruler of all the Merpeople. It is evident that the one who says he is your king is not honorable and therefore can he be trusted to rule justly?"

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next