The Uimate Role-Playing Group Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Carnivale (open,R rated)

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Carnivale (open,R rated) - Page 4 Empty Re: The Carnivale (open,R rated)

Post by LadyRaven Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Hoss noticed the look Jason gave him and offered a smile in return. "It's a long ole story, my friend." He said in explainaton and finished that conversation there. After a few more stops to visit some more misfits and some of the ride operators, the tour ended at Hoss's caravan. It was smaller than some of the others, but no less comfortable. Hoss invited him in without question and was already putting some coffee onto brew when Jason asked about home camp.

"It's not for everyone." He said, "Things in home camp are a little basic and simple. We have diesel generators for power and a stack of cylinders filled with gas for cooking and such. We're lucky enough that we live over a natural underground reservoir, so we draw water up from a well for free." He went about making the coffee and placed a mug of it on the dated kitchen counter for Jason. "We can get satelite TV most of the time." He continued, "Which is kinda cool. I set up a large tent and big screen a few years ago so we all could watch the superbowl and baseball events. We got our own lake that bubbles up from the reservoir, so's we got some good planting land and we can keep cattle and such." He took his own mug and sat down on a deshevelled looking sofa nd put his heavy feet up on a similarly dishevelled coffee table.

"Best thing though," He continued, "We don't get bothered by outsiders. Nearest town is about 50 miles away and nearest city is Las Vegas about 150 miles. It's like we got our own town out there all to ourselves. Some like it that way, some don't, but I knows Blade prefers it that way. No-one asks questions and no-one interferes. We deal our own business and law and we's happy that way."
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Female Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Jason settled down in Hoss' place feeling a bit more comfortable. He watched Hoss make the coffee as Hoss explained what the Desert encampment was like. He kind of liked the sound of the place but yet he knew he would need to be running in and out of the town or Las Vegas for parts and things that would keep the vehilces running. But he was going to ensure that thier quiet community was not disturbed by outsiders. He would be the one running back and forth.

Even with some cattle and livestock, there were things that people would need and that ment going into a town to buy them. But he would see how things were before he did anything. He waited for the coffee and sipped it slowly. He told Hoss what he was planning on doing, "Being a mechanic, I will be helping keep the trucks and other vehilces running good. No sence letting what I know go to waste. I'll have to see what I will need there and go get it I guess." he finished his coffee and thanked Hoss for the introductions and showing him around. "Feels a bit strange deciding to up and leave everything I have ever known. But I guess that is natural." He rose from the seat he had taken and walked to the door. "Best get back to Blade and Dehlia." he grinned.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Hoss grinned back, "It ain't that strange to me." He said, "I did it over thirty years ago and never looked back. And I got a better life here than I ever had anywhere else." He saw Jason out and went back to his sofa to put his feet up again.......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Jason walked across the compound to Blade's trailer. He stopped and watched as the workers readied everything for the nights festivities. The city people kept coming it seemed, and there were those that he imagined came back almost every night. It was something new now for everyone, since the carivals had not been around for some time.

He was sad a bit, because he had to sell his grandfather's house. He had good memories of it when he spent the summer there and when his parents and him visited. He had lived there for some time and it felt so warm and comfortable. But it would be the best thing to do. Some one else would be able to enjoy it and call it home.

He knocked on the door of Blade's and Dahila's trailer.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:00 pm

Blade opened the door and smiled at Jason and invited him in. "I see the tour has ended." He offered warmly, "So have you met all the troupe?" He went into the kitchen and made himself a light snack. A ham sandwich with mustard.
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 pm

Jason entered the trailer and looked around to see if Dahlia was there still. He took a seat in the small kitchen and relaxed.

Blade brought his sandwich back to the living area and sat down with it. "She's not here." He said with a smile....

He could tell that, he had begun to feel her presence, or what he considered her presence. It was a feeling he began to have when she was around and he had just realized it not long ago. "Preparing for tonights show I suppose."

Blade gave a slight nod, "She's trying to train up Jerry's daughter, Mina to do the show, but it's hard going. The girl has litterally no magik in her at all."....

"Ahhhhh so there is some magic and not just slight of hand for her disapearing?" he was begining to see that there was more to them then met the eye. They lived off the energy they some how extracted from the people that came to see the shows and play the games. It made them stay young for a long time. To some that would be considered magic. "So how does she disapear like that?" he asked.

Blade grinned and winked at him. "A very old and very secret thing is magik." He said cryptically, "It's a trick that she learned a very long time ago. Most of it is a little trickery of the eye. You're concentrating on kissing her cheek and when the flowers explode on you, she's able to slip away. Normally, a person is a little too slow for it, but she's quicker than most."....

Jason chuckled. "Why is she training Mia. Doesn't she want to keep doing the show?"

Blade shook his head. "She doesn't like big public events like that." He said, "Never has. Even before Henry, she was the quiet one."....

"She likes reading peoples futures." He wondered if he would be able to do that if he learned how to control his abilities.

Blade half nodded, "Some of the time, she does." He said, "But most of the time, she likes to be left alone."...
:
Jason leaned back chewing on his bottom lip a bit. He wondered if that would mean him as well. "Well I had best go and grab me a bite to eat before tonights show and talk to a realator about my house."

Blade nodded and smiled again, "I'll see you ringside then.".....

Jason got up and left. Riding off into the city. His first stop was a realator he knew and told him he was putting the house up for sale. They went over paperwork and he signed some documents. The furniture would be moved out and put into storage for him, until he decided on what to do with it. Once the house was sold, the money would be deposited in his bank account. His next stop was to get something to eat. He sat there watching the people and listening to them talk about the carnival and its people. Some were amazed by what they saw others said they were all phoneys, makeup and all. But one thing they were agreeing on was how good it was to see something like it come to town. He then headed back to the carnival to take a seat in the stands to watch Dahlia perform again.

The show went on as planned and Dahlia took centre stage after clowns and acrobatics and some high wire and ariel work. She appeared in a sunflower costume and ballet slippers and made the sunflowers dance around and explode as before. When the final trick came, Blade smiled up at Jason and waved his hand at him. "You Sir!" He called, "A kiss for the lovely flower?".....

Jason smiled and walked down the bleachers and approached Dahlia. "Hey good looking." he sent out a message to her with his mind and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

'Hey yourself.' Dahlia replied with a smile. As he leaned in to kiss her cheek, she faked the shocked look and disappeared in a plume of sunflower petals....

Jason himself acted as if he was surprised and looked around with a puzzled look on his face.

The crowd cheered with applause, but ringside, two men began talking about it. They weren't impressed and reckoned that there was a wire or something somewhere that opened a door, or she had simply ran off when the flowers exploded. Blade caught the conversation and growled under his breath. With a wave of his hand, the spotlight fell on the two men. "We have disbelievers in our midst!"....

Jason followed the light and looked at the two men. He had not heard their conversation but when Blade said they were disbelivers. He walked back over to the stands where he could hear them. He waited to see what they had to say.

The left side man stood up and held his hands up. "Sorry, Fella, but I just don't believe she can disappear like that." He said. Blade stood up straight and adjusted his hat slightly. "And what makes you think it's fake?" He asked. The man folded his arms across his chest. "I'm a proffessor of physics at the university and I'm telling you, it's impossible to make matter disappear." In the normal world, that would be perfectly true. But Blade's world was nothing close to normal. "Fair enough." He said, "Why not come down and prove your theory? Prove us false and I'll give you my hat." The man shrugged his shoulders and smiled at Jason as he passed. He was convinced he was about to win the ringmaster's hat.....

This Jason had to see. He had explained how she had done it but how was he going to make the man think that she actually did disapear. He wished he was able to make everyone there think they saw Blade vanish before them. He knew that the mind could play tricks on people and if they were given a suggestion perhaps in their minds or something like that it could work. But he doubted that he could
do that and he watched.

Blade encouraged the audience to give some applause and then called for Dahlia to come out. She appeared in a simple white loetard, barefoot and not looking at all happy about it. Blade dipped his hat at her. "So tell me, Sir, how would you propose the test?" The man looked her up and down and gave half a smile. "I'll hold her." He said, "That way, I can feel her weight in my arms at all times." Dahlia scowled and Blade shrugged, "As you wish." he said and let the man pick his sister up and cradle her in his arms. "Anything else?" Blade asked. The man looked down at the tiny woman in his arms and smiled. "Nope, it's all good." He said. With a grunt, Dahlia snapped her fingers and disappeared in a puff of white smoke. It took a few seconds to clear and when it had, the audience were on their feet cheering. Dahlia had disappeared and in her place, the proffessor was holding a sack of sand. He dropped it and stared in shock before the spotlight turned and Dahlia was sitting in his seat!......

Now that was amazing and even Jason was taken aback by it. That was even more of a show then her disapearing the other way. He wondered what the man would say now.

The man looked from the bag of sand to the woman in his seat and back again. "But that's impossible!" He protested. Blade laughed and slapped him on the shoulder in fun. "Nothing is impossible, my friend." He said, "Just misunderstood. For being such a good sport, here's a free pass to all our attractions for the night." The man took the ticket and wandered back to his seat, still in shock. Dahlia got up and smiled at him before moving back into the centre ring. She bowed to another applause and then left. Blade concluded the evening in the usual fashion and then went backstage to deal with what would no doubt be the roasting of the century.....

As the crowd filtered out, Jason hung back and slipped back stage. He wanted to know how she had been able to do it. The scowl on her face had not been missed and she had a feeling that Blade was in for a toung...... well mind lashing.

Almost the very second Blade got backstage, Dahlia slapped him right in the mouth. That was followed quickly by a vicious shouting in his mind about abusing her gifts for his own gain. And then that was followed by another sharp slap before she knocked the hat off his head. She picked it up and put her fist through the top of it. She then sat it back on his head and turned on her heel, walking right into Jason. 'Oh!' She said apologetically, 'I didn't see you there.'....

Jason was able to hear everything she said with her mind. He was now attuned to her. He flinched at her anger at Blade and how she slapped him. When she turned and ran into him his arms went instinctively around her. "My fault." he said calmly with his mind.

Dahlia cuddled him back lightly and shook her head. 'It's not your fault' She told him, 'Blade goaded that man just to make him a fool.' She smiled up at him and then backed off a little, 'I'll be back in a few.' She said, 'I need some clothes.'...

Jason reluctently let her go and watched as she headed off to change. He then looked over at Blade. He had goaded the man in to it but to make the people beleive in magic what else could he do. He shook his head as he approached him. "Hope I never have that fury turned on me."

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 pm

Blade rubbed his temples after the mental onslaught and then removed his ruined hat to inspect the damage. He would definitely have to buy a new one. When Jason came to him, he offered a smile, but it was tired. Blade was tired. "You will one day." He said apologetically, "It comes with the territory of Dahlia Runner, I'm afraid." He looked at his hat again and then tossed it into the clown costume bin. No doubt one of the misfits would make good use of it.

He then slowly made his way towards the back entrance of the tent. "I know that she hates having to do the tricks that she does and it takes a lot out of her, so I don't mind the odd battering," He said as he walked, "But she doesn't often think about the energy we can collect from it. Sure, we can gather a good few decades with the tricks we already do, but it's unexpected things like that that are so much better. I've collected more energy from that man in few minutes than I have from all the crowds put together all night. It's enough now to keep our troupe alive for nearly a century." He shook his head low and pulled the ribbon from his ponytail. "I'd rather put her through that once in a while than watch her lose another family member before they're both ready." He looked up at Jason again, "You can understand that, surely?"
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Jason shook his head. He would not want her to do that to him. But he figured that she would not be mad ad Blade for long. After all he was her brother. He followed Blade to the rear entrance of the tent but wanted to wait for Dahlia to return. He could understand why Blade had done what he did. If he was able to collect the energy, which he still had no idea how he did that, and it would help everyone live for some time then he felt that it was worth it.

Blade smiled at him and stopped when he did. "She won't be much longer."....

Jason nodded and waited, letting Blade head back to his trailer.

Dahlia arrived a few minutes later, dressed similarly to earlier that day. The long pale woolen skirt covered her legs and feet while the soft cotton white shirt covered her neck and arms. a complete difference from the figure hugging leotard.....

He gave her a warm smile as she returned. He still didn't know how she had did that last disapearing act but he didn't want to ask her. "That is it for the night?" he asked her, "Or are you going to read people's fourtunes?"

Dahlia shook her head. 'That last trick did it for me tonight.' She told him, 'I'm too tired, but I'm handing a little trust to Chloe, so she can cover for me.'...

"Is she as good as you?" he asked her. It was not clear if Chloe was also psychic or was just sensitive to Dahlia's thoughts. He had to grin as he thought of what he might be able to do once she had gotten him trained to use his abilities.

Dahlia shook her head again, 'Not by a long chalk.' She said, 'But with some time and training, she might just make something of it.'...

He lifted a hand up and caressed the side of her face. "What about my training, what will you start with?"

Dahlia gave him a warm smile. 'Your training began the moment I knew you could hear me.' She told him....

"Oh?" what the training was he didn't know. But he did know he had visions and was able to hear her and Blade's thoughts clearly now.

Dahlia smiled again and took his hand in her own. 'The first step is to attune the mind to the possibility of what we do and who we are. By opening your mind to our thoughts and allowing us to do the same, you are learning the arts of telepathy.'....

"That it seems I have fairly down pat. I can hear yours and Blade's thoughts and send both of you mine." He had a feeling thought that there was more to it. He might even eventually be able to read other peoples thoughts. Now that would be something he would have to be careful on. He would not want to pry into someone's mind by accident.

Dahlia nodded, "And it can be handy in a pinch with the normals, but that comes later. They tend to get migraines or worse if you probe too deeply.".....

He nodded and then placed and arm about her waist. "So if your not reading fortunes tonight, what would you like to do?"

Dahlia cocked her head to one side and thought it over for a moment. Then she smiled, 'Can you ride?'....

He laughed, "Been a few years since I rode a horse. But yeah I learned when I was a young boy." he told her.

'Ok then.' She said and pulled on his arm. She took him to the make-shift stables and introduced him to Layla properly. 'She won't bite if you let her come to you.' She said as she encouraged the huge cob forward. In the next stall was an equally large shire. 'This big fella here is Copper. He's sweeter than he looks, I promise.' And true to her word, Copper gave Jason a firm nudge on his shoulder in search of a treat....

Jason patted Copper's nose. "Well now big boy, if I had known that we were going to go for a ride i would have brought an apple for you. Perhaps on our ride we can stop and get one for you."

Dahlia smiled and moved away briefly to collect a saddle and bridle for him. She strapped the saddle firmly to Copper's back and then gently placed the bridle of his head. Once sure all was correct and ready, she moved to Layla and led her out by the simpler half bridle around her nose......

Jason took the reigns and lead Cooper out of the makeshift stable, following Dahlia. Once out side he put his foot in the stirrup and swung himself up into the saddle. "I know where there is an orchard with some apples." he told Dahlia.

'Sounds like a plan.' She replied as she took a mass of Layla's hair and swung herself up onto the cob's back. No mean feat for someone so small. After a small adjustment and a little pulling on her skirt, she was sat comfortably across Layla's bare back and turned the cob about to follow Jason....

Jason turned the head of Cooper and gave him a slight nudge with his heals. The large horse began moving and he guided him out of the encampment towards the orchard that was about three miles away.

Dahlia let Jason lead them out and then came up level with him once they had left the camp boundry. She sat comfortably on Layla and even leaned forward a little to relax.....

He kept a slow pace, getting use to being in the saddle again. Dahlia looked as if she was very comfortable riding. "I take it you don't like riding motorcycles." he grinned.

Dahlia gave a small giggle of laughter in his mind, but for just a second, there seemed to be a giggle in the air too. 'Horses have been around much longer.' She chortled...

He could not deny that. Though he would not mind having her on the back of his bike with her arms around him and leaning against him. It didn't take to long to cover the three miles and soon they were in an orchard that belonged to no one really but on some land that was up for sale. He dismounted and picked a nice large apple and brought it back to Copper. "Here you go boy. Just as I promised. He held it up to him and watched him take it and start eating it. "Yeah its good isn't it." The horse seemed to be enjoying the treat.

Dahlia stayed on Layla's back as she moved forward and plucked an apple off the branch on her own. 'I think you've made a lifelong friend.' She giggled and again, that tiny sound in the air that just wasn't quite enough....

Jason could hear the giggling in his mind and a bit to his ears as well. Was she actually vocalizing her joy. He remounted and took a couple more apples, placing them in his coat pockets, for later treats. He moved up beside Dahlia and Layia. "You take the lead now."

Dahlia's smile widened and she pulled Layla away from the tree. 'Ok then.' She said, 'But you'd best keep up.' And with a slight kick to the quarter, layla bolted like a shot into the darkness and Dahlia hanging on tight to Layla's maine.....

Jason laughed and did the same to Copper. The horse took off after Dahlia and Layla and caught up to them and kept pace beside them. Jason was leaning forward in the saddle a bit to keep his balance.
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:11 pm

The pair were covering a lot of ground, more than some might think. After a good thirty minutes in a flat out gallop, Layla finally began to falter and Dahlia leaned back a little, 'Easy girl, easy.' She cooed, 'Good girl, well done. You can relax now.' Layla eased into a gentle trot and then stopped entirely, her quarters shaking with exhaustion. Dahlia could feel the sweat under her skirts and carefully slid off the horse's back. 'Easy.' She cooed as she moved to her friend's nose and rubbed it, 'There now.'

Underfoot, Dahlia could feel sharp grass and as she looked up, she could see only stars and the moon. Looking around, she couldn't see the city lights anymore and not far away, she could hear water churning. They had reached the ocean. Dahlia figured they must have travelled nearly 20 miles from the camp. A few seconds later, Dahlia closed her eyes and breathd in deeply. She could smell the salt and sand.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:09 am

They were by the ocean. He could hear the water and even smell it. They had covered a good distance and were well away from the city. Jason dsmounted and lead Copper forward. They were on a cliff overlooking the ocean. A bit to their left was a gentel decending pathway to a small secluded beach.

Copper was sweating as well and needed to cool down before they could even think of going back. He patted the stud's neck, "You are a strong one boy. Bet you need to have a good run now and then don't you?" He pulled out one of the apples and let he see and smell it. He began munching on it and Jason chuckled. "There you go boy, a well deserved treat." he tossed Dahlia the other one he had with him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Dahlia caught the apple and gave it to Layla before she made her way down the path towards the beach. The bright moonlight made it easy enough to see and when she reached the bottom of the cliff, she stared out into the blackness of the water and smiled....

Jason figured the two horses would either wait for them above and eat their fill of grass, or follow them down. He was but a couple steps behind Dahlia. The water lapped up onto the small beach. The air was still warm but a bit cooler on the small beach.

Layla pulled away from Dahlia and began to graze on the sharp grasses at the bottom of the cliff, so Dahlia sat down on the sand and began to bury her toes in it. 'I love beaches like this.' She offered, 'So peaceful and private. Like the outside doesn't exist.'....

Jason sat down next to her. "Not tomany of these places left these days. I am surprised that this one still exists."

Dahlia nodded and wiggled her toes in the sand. 'A few hundred years ago, there was almost nothing on this part of the coastline. The beaches were all like this.'......

"Enjoy it while you can. Who knows how long this will be here like this." he put an arm about her and pulled her close.

Dahlia cuddled into him and gave a small sigh. 'Pity.' She told him, 'But maybe mankind will learn to respect these places eventually.'......

"That will take some time I think." It was relaxing there. No one around to bother them, to make noise or anything like that. "So what do now."

Dahlia closed her eyes and breathed in the smell of the ocean. 'Anything and nothing.' She replied....

Jason Chuckled. That was a bit cryptic. So he just sat there and held her to him as the waves broke a few feet from them.

Dahlia laid cuddled up to Jason for a good hour at least, probably more. She only moved when she felt a chill and opened her eyes to look around. 'It'll be dawn soon.' She thought, 'Maybe we should head back?'...

Jason had gotten so comfortable that he really had not noticed the time. When she said it would be dawn soon, he could not believe they had been there that long. He slowly stood up and helped her to her feet. "Yes I think your brother might be a bit worried that you have been gone so long." Though he probably knew she was with him and knew Jason would keep her from harm.

Dahlia got up and smiled up at him, 'He knows I'm with you, so he won't be.' She told him. Dahlia then turned and started clicking with her tongue to summon Layla, but the horse must have wandered further than the sound carried. With a shrug, Dahlia opened her mouth and wet her lips. She then gave a sudden loud whistle. Layla came trotting up, followed quickly by Copper...

Jason moved up to Copper and patted the horses neck. "Well boy you ready to go back to the barn?" he turned and looked over at Dahlia.

Dahlia smiled as she took a handful of Layla's maine and pulled herself up. 'And a good rub down.' She said. Layla seemed to catch the thought and shook with pleasure at the idea. She then turned around and started walking up the pathway....
:
Jason was on the back of Copper in a couple seconds after Dahlia and followed her up the pathway. The return trip was quiet and only the lights from the cars on the highway of those going to work or coming home from work was any sign of life anywhere.

The pace home was smooth, but it took nearly two hours to get back to the camp and by the time it was in sight, the sun was coming up behind them. A few of the folk were up and about with their morning duties. Jerry and his family were mucking out the stables and the cook, Benjamin, was already filling the air with the smell of bacon, hash and biscuits and scrambled eggs. They were all shocked when Dahlia arrived looking as fresh as morning dew and were even more shocked when they saw she had been out with Jason and all night! Dahlia pulled back on Layla's maine lightly to stop and then slid off with a smile. "Morning." Jerry offered.....

Jason got off Copper and patted his neck and rubbed his nose. "He needs a good and well deserved rubdown and extra oats today." He looked around and saw Hoss. He remembered his comment that Dahlia was out of his league. He wondered what the big man thought now.

Hoss tipped his hat with a grin and came over to them. He gave Dahlia a small kiss on her hand and then gave Jason a lopsided grin. "You ole daug." He said with a laugh. Jerry took the horses away and then led Jason towards the food tent. Dahlia had gone back to her caravan to shower and change......

Jason just gave him a grin back and followed him to the food tent where the smell of food made his stomach rumble with hunger. The people looked at him with questioning eyes but asked or said nothing. Many probably didn't know that something was starting to grow between him and Dahlia. This is until that moment. It was not hard to figure out.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:38 pm

Jason got a few funny looks as he entered the food tent with Hoss, but most of the folk there simply smiled at him. The cook filled a plate for him with hash, biscuits, bacon and eggs and pointed to a large cauldron like pot filled with coffee. Hoss took his plate gratefully and quickly filled a large mug with the coffee. He led Jason to a bench and sat down to enjoy his breakfast. "So what did y'all get up to out there all night then?" He asked without care of whom was listening......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:40 am

Jason saw all the looks and just smiled. He sat down with Hoss and began eating. He had taken far less then Hoss had. He did not have the big appatitie. But he took a cup of coffee with his breakfast and sipped it as Hoss asked him wht they had done all night. "Found a secluded beach............." he paused, and he grinned, "and just sat there in each other's arms. It was just so peaceful and time seemed to fly by.

Hoss lifted a thick eyebrow, "You just sat there?" He then began to laugh, "And here we's all are wondering how well you rattled the cage!"....

Jason chuckled, "Well I am a gentelman after all, and we just met, so I am not rushing anything." He had a feeling that they all thought they had made out somewhere. He sipped his coffee and looked around.

Hoss laughed again and nudged Jason's shoulder lightly, "I like you kid, you's alright." He said warmly...

Jason smiled and continued eating. He saw that taking his time was the right thing to do. It was also probably a good thing with Dahlia as well. She had been hurt badly once and he was not wanting to rush her. "Going to be a bit different for me from now on." he ate the food and it tasted delicious. It would give everyone the needed energy to do the morning's work.

Hoss nodded, "Yup." He said, "Different is definitely a word I'd use." He then looked at the other man squarely, "So you're real serious about us carny's then, ain't ya."...

Jason nodded, "Seems the best thing for what I have found out about myself." Being psychic, or what ever one called it, he needed to get a handle on it before it drove him nuts. He didn't know if it was like movies he had seen, or books he had read, that told of those begining to hear other people's thoughts, at times coming at them all at once and driveing them nuts. "If my grandfather's
'gift' is as strong as his was, then here is the best place for me. Out there they would probably put me in the loony bin.

Hoss laughed again and nodded, "Yeah, regular folk can get a little on edge around them." He said as he stuffed an entire slice of bacon into his mouth....

Jason ate his food and drank his coffee. Then when done he stood up and took a deep breath. He had been up all day the day before, and night and early morning. He would need some sleep. When he stood up his head spun a bit. "Woa, got to get some sleep."

Hoss got up also and nodded, "Sure." He said, "You want me to take you back into town, or you wanna stay here?"....

His motorcycle was still there by Blade's trailer. But he didn't know if he could make it back to his place on his own. "Probably should stay here for a few hours."

Hoss nodded again, "Well, you can get some sleep in my trailer if you want. I got work to be gettin' on with, so you won't be bothered."....

Jason thanked him, and made his way to Hoss's trailer. He found the couch and laid down and soon was passed out. His mind seemed to be flying over the carnival and move outward towards the city. He seemed to zoom in on the professor from the show of the night before. He was talking to another man, saying how it was impossible for what had happened to have happened. But he had been holding her and then suddenly she was gone and he had a bag of sand in his arms. The other man scratched his head and leaned back. "Perhaps there is something more to her then meets the eye. I have a source that says the government is researching this type of thing. He says that they have seen some strange things." That he didn't like hearing. He really didn't trust the government. "Perhaps we should see more of this woman's act and see if my contact might be intrested." That bothered Jason even more. He woke up, only a couple hours had passed. He groaned as he stood up and moved to the door.

Blade had been spending the morning sorting out the show for the night to follow. Dahlia had made it clear that she would refuse to do the act again. So far, he'd pulled aside every female acrobat he had in the troupe, but only two or three had any scope for what he needed. In the end, he decided he would change things slightly and use some more basic illusions. After that was sorted, he went to find Jason and was told he was sleeping in Hoss's caravan for a while. When he made it there, he felt some of the emotions in the man's dream and it unnerved him. And of course, when Jason went to the door, Blade opened it and looked up at him.....

"Might have some trouble coming. That professor from last night is talking to someone conected to the government. Didn't like what I saw or heard." He stumbled out of the trailer a bit dizzy yet.

Blade nodded, "I felt your emotions on the matter." He said solemnly, then moved to the man as he saw him stumble. "Come with me." He offered, "You haven't rested properly. You can stay with us. Dahlia won't mind and you can sleep in my bed if you wish. It's far more comfortable than Hoss's couch, I promise.".....

Jason nodded and strugled to walk to Blade's trailer. He definately needed to get some more sleep. His visions were becoming a bit more clear and percise. Yet he knew that the future was not set in stone. He had seen that already. "What you going to do about it?" he asked Blade.

Blade held the boy by his shoulder as he led him to the caravan and then carefully led him up the steps and inside. "Thankfully, Dahlia has refused to do the show anymore." He said, "So I have made some adjustments. She will not be seen in the main tent." He shut the door behind them, "And I'm having thoughts to cut the tour short and move on.".....

"Mmmmmm that sounds good." he said and made it up into the trailer. "Just be on the look out for that professor. I don't have a very good feeling about his friend."

Blade offered a smile as he led Jason into the bedroom and pulled back the sheets of his bed. "I will." He said, "You get some sleep. I'll leave a candle burning to help keep your mind clear so you can sleep in peace.".....

Jason had no idea what Blade was talking about when he mentioned a candle. But he laid down and again was soon fast asleep, but this time no visions.

Blade left him to it and went to find Dahlia. He let her know that Jason was sleeping in the caravan and to say that he was glad she had decided to refuse the show after all. He explained about Jason's vision and dahlia nodded in agreement, telling him that she had known what would happen all along. She then left Blade to his duties and went back to the caravan to watch over Jason.....

Jason slept with only dreams of him and Dahlia, especially when she came into the bedroom. It seemed she had a very calming effect on his mind. He slept for a few hours and then woke up and looked around, spotting her.

Dahlia was sat on her bed with her feet crossed under her usual mass of skirts and petticoats. She was sat leaning against the headboard reading a book and looked up with a smile when he woke.....

"Hey." he said softly as he proped himself up on his elbows. "What time is it?" he asked.

Dahlia pulled her pocket watch out of her pocket, 'A little after 5.' She told him....

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Jason sat up fully, cracking his neck. He had slept for a long time. "Have you been able to get some sleep?" he asked her. After all she had been up just as long as he had. The vision still bothered him. He knew the men were coming and they would be looking for Dahlia. He was glad that she was not going to be doing the show, but still he was worried.

Thinking about the vision, he suddenly became very still and stared ahead not seeing anything nor Dahlia. But it was not just two men but a dozen. The professor, the man he had been talking to and ten others. They were beating the carni people trying to get them to tell them where Dahlia was. Hoss lay face down next to the strongman, blood ozzing from their heads. He came out of it and looked at Dahlia.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon May 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Dahlia offered a smile and gave a slight nod, 'I've nodded a few times with my book.' She told him. She put the bok down and moved off the bed to go sit with him, but as she moved across the floor, the air in the room turned icy cold. Dahlia stopped and stared at Jason, his eyes glazed over an staring into nothingness.

The vision Jason had made her feel like ice inside and when she caught flashes of it, they made her shudder visibly. The mere sight of her friend an body guard covered in blood made her shake with fear and she reached out her mind to all that she could feel -that pretty much included everyone- and told them danger was coming.

A few seconds after Dahlia's fear was sent out, rushing sounds coud be heard outside as people began to pack up their belongings as quickly as possible. Blade came rushing into the caravan and took only a second to look at his sister and Jason before he knew something was badly awry. He left just as quickly and started yelling to pack up the carnivale and head home. The lot it stood on would be abandoned once again within the hour. Everyone chipped in to collapse everything and Blade wasted no tim in helping out. His hat, coat and waistcoat were flung aside and he was as greased and dirty as Hoss and his rabble.

In the caravan, Dahlia made herself busy packing up anything fragile. Cupboards were locked and the furniture was quickly covered in blankets and then strapped together. A few minutes after that, the caravan jarred backwards as someone mounted it onto the lead truck. 'Jason, hurry!' Her mind cried, 'We must be gone. They are coming!'
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Jason came out of the trance and looked around and saw Dahlia's worried look, and knew that she had tuned in to his vision. He heard her voice in his head as she sent out the message. He could hear everyone moving to tear everything down as quickly as they could. He reached over and took her hand in his and squeezed it. He rose and went out to lend a hand at getting things tore down and packed up. Once the carnival was tore down and packed up, he made his way back to the trailer.

Dahlia was calling to him to hurry, that they had to be gone. But he could not leave yet. He moved up to her and caressed her face. "I'll be along in a short time." he promised. "Get them all out of here to safety." he turned to Blade, "I will try to misdirect them when they come. They don't know my attachment here." he looked back at Dahlia and smiled. Giving her a soft kiss he then moved to his bike and started it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sat May 07, 2011 4:44 pm

Blade nodded despite Dahlia's protests in his head, "I'll send you the directions to home camp when I know they've gone again." He offered.....

Jason picked up Blade's words and gave Dahlia a warm smile. "Nothing is going to keep me away." he told her and started the bike. If he was lucky he would be able to intercept the group that was comming. He didn't know what he was going to do. He would have to wing it.

Blade nodded his head, but then turned his eyes to Hoss. "Take some of your rabble and linger behind." He ordered quietly, "And be descrete. If he doesn't need any help, stay back, but if he does, or you think the fight isn't going well for him, get involvedand bring him home safely, understand?" Hoss nodded and then gave his rabble the nod to move off. The camp was finished packing up within the hour and they were leaving a few more minutes after that. Dahlia stayed with the animals for the time being, Blade judging it to be the safest place to hide and the animals would offer some added protection too...

A couple miles from the carnival site Bernard rested in his small trailer attached to a pickup truck. The intensity of Jason's vision even touched him and it shook him. "The boy definately has the gift. Who knows how far he can go with it." he mumbled and sent out his own thoughts, finding the professor his his bunch. "Nasty bunch for sure." He got into the pickup and headed it along with the trailer to where Jason was heading. He parked a bit out of the way and got out of the truck. As the three vehilces appoached packed with the men, Jason brought his bike to a stop blocking the road. "Should be interesting." Bernard whispered to no one. The cars stopped and the men got out. A dozen of them and most looked quite the bruisers. "Wouldn't come any further if I were you." Jason grandstanded, as he sat on his bike. "You might be in for more trouble then you like." Bernard chuckled. "Need more then that to make a good bluff." again he whispered to no one. In his mind he conjured up a bunch of rattlesnakes that slithered up to the road and began making their rattles shake. This he sent forward to some of the men. He could not do it to all of them but it would be enough to make them pause and the others to think they were crazy when they started yelling and pointing.

Hoss pulled up in the newly renovated van with his rabble and they all got out silently. Hoss pointed to where Jason was fronting off with the men and slid his shotgun from his holster. "This ain't gonna be pretty boss." One of the rabble said to Hoss. Hoss nodded in return, "That it be, son." He whispered back, "But I ain't ta thinkin' that boy ain't without his wiles just yet." Hoss watched carefully to what happened and the way Jason faced off with one he recognised. He had a bad feeling about the situation suddenly and nodded for the men to split up and make their way down. They would take up stragetic points close to Jason, but not so close as to alert the other men. "Stay under the dirt." He ordered quietly and the rabble began to slither quietly towards Jason. Some of them stopped when they heard snakes, but Hoss wasn't fooled by them. He'd been around these people his whole adult life, he knew an illusion when he saw one......

"Use your mind boy. You can make them think they see almost anything if you put a bit of effort into it." Benard sent Jason a thought. Jason stiffened as he heard the voice in his head. It was not Blade nor was it Dehlia. "Think of something that all of them might be afraid of. That way you can get them all intune with it." Bernard whispered in Jason's mind. He took a deep breath and looked at the men. He smiled and thought of flashing lights of a police cruiser and then that of the cruiser coming up behind him and stopping. Of a large state trooper getting out of the car and walking forward hands on hips looking at the men. "Now what do we have here gentelmen. Do I detect some trouble a brewing here." the officer spoke in a deep voice. The professor looked a bit scared. He had been planning on kidnapping the girl, but that had been without having the police envolved. He looked at his friend. "Nothing officer, just thought the young man was in need of some assistance." He waved everyone back to the cars. Those seeing the snakes almost ran, the others thought they were crazy or something. The cars made a U turn and headed back to town. When they were far enough down the road Jason dropped the illusion and fell off his bike drained. Bernard chuckled. "Got to build up that stamina."

Hoss and his rabble became utterly still and silent when a police car appeared from nowhere. He couldn't help but smile though and when the other men left, Hos moved closer to Jason again. He watched the boy fall off his bike and moved more quickly. shot gun on his shoulder and head held high, Hoss stood tall now and walked easily to Jason. "Up we get, son." He offered as he picked the boy up and put him over his other shoulder. He eyed the man he recognized and firmed his jaw. "Old man?" He asked in his long southern drawl. At this point, the rest of his rabble got up, guns at the ready.....

Bernard chuckled as he walked forward out of the shadows. "Now is that any way to talk to an old member of the family?" he walked slowly up to Hoss and looked at Jason. "Boy has some real talent. I would not have been able to do that when I was just learning."

Hoss lifted Jason off his shoulder and another of his rabble took him up and away. Another again took the bike while Hoss spoke to the stranger. Once everyone was leaving, Hoss gave a cautious smile. "Haven't seen you for a long time." He said, "In fact, I was still green around the gills when I last set eyes on you, old man."....

Bernard chuckled. Old man indeed. But he looked Jason's age still. "Yep that you were." He had tried his best to keep most of the others from seeing him, even when he was in the food tent with Dahlia. "Been keeping an eye on my grandson there." he shook his head. "Strange how fate seems to bring people together when they need it."

Hoss nodded, "Indeed it does." He replied smoothly, then made to turn away, "You comin' this time? Or you gnona go hide away again?".....

"Oh I will be along. I have a few things to do before I formally meet my grandson again." he smiled. "He will be needing to do a few things himself when he recovers. Things he needs to do before he can put this town behind him for good." He put a hand on Hoss's shoulders a moment and then turned to return to his truck and trailer.

Hoss nodded and turned away fully. When he reached the van, one of his rabble was already firing up the bike, ready to follow, while Jason was sleeping off his efforts in the back. Hoss got in and they began to head off towards the convoy......

Jason was completely drained. He was out cold and didn't wake up until they reached the convoy. Then his eyes fluttered opened and he groaned a bit. "What happened?"

Hoss looked down at Jason and smiled, "You decided to fall off yer bike." He told the boy, "Made some cool thigns happen though first. That police man was awesome.".....

He put a hand to his head, it was aching. "Yeah, I actually did that. Wow." he could hardly beleive he actually had been able to do it. He stiffened then again and looked around, thinking the man who had sent him the idea was there. But all he saw was those from the carnival. He sat up, putting his back against the side of the van. "I am going to have to go back to town. Finish up a couple things."

Hoss nodded, "I know." He said, "But things is a bit hot right now, so you's best staying low for a few days.".....

Jason nodded his head. He was in no shape to try and ride back, and with the professor and his friend back there, he didn't want them getting close to Dahlia. So a few days with his new friends would be a good thing. He would be able to go back and finish up everything. "Are we with the others now?" he asked.

Hoss nodded, "Just about." He said, then pointed out of the window. "We's just coming up on their ass now."....

"Good." he closed his eyes again drifing back off to sleep, his mind picturing Dahlia's face and sending her a mental kiss.

Hoss smiled lightly and then face forward again as the van moved up the line of trucks. When they were reaching the front, he grabbed for the radio. "Bossman, Bossman, this is Shogun, ya busy?" He was calling Blade. In the lead truck, Blade picked up the receiver, "Good to hear you Hoss. Do you have the boy?" Hoss grinned, "Sure do. Passed out cold, but he be ok. When we pullin' over?" Blade looked around briefly, "In about ten minutes." He said, "When we reach the county line.".....
The minutes flew by and soon enough, Blade pulled the truck over in a layby on the county line. The other trucks pulled up behind and they all parked two abreast on the layby. Blade was first out and had a good look around before he moved to the animal trailor and let Dahlia out. She nodded in thanks and then went straight for Hoss's van. She smiled as the back door was opened and she clambered in......

"I'm not giving up." the government man told the professor. They are a carnival, they have to set up somewhere again. When they do we will find them." they were at the abandoned site where the carnival had been. Now it was the empty lot it had been before it had arrived. Bernard was not to far away watching and smiling. Back in the van Jason was still out cold.

After a few minutes of rest and planning, and Jason safe and sleeping in the back of the lead truck, Blade went over his thoughts with Hoss. "I don't think they'll give up so easy." He said, "They's looked real pissed about bein' sent away. And Bernie was there to watch over the boy.2 Blade nodded, "Then the safest thing to do would be to head home. Forget the rest of the tour. We have enough to last us a while." Hoss nodded, "So what we doin then Boss?" Blade looked around the trucks and vans. "Strip the colours and we'll look like a bunch of gypsies. We'll take things easy and join the main road again at route 6." Hoss nodded and went back to his van. everyone else had already sorted themselves out......

When Bernard was satisfied that the men would not be following, he went back into town. Back to his old house. He entered it and made himself at home. He looked through the computer that was Jason and grinned. "Perhaps the boy doesn't have to come back. While he had spoke to Jason in his mind, he was able to glem passwords that allowed him to help his grandson out. As the carnival travels to their desert home, Bernard makes the final arrangements for his grandson on the house and buys what Jason would have. He gets him a large pickup truck and a large RV that had expanding sides. In it he places a large tool chest with all the tools that he would need as a mechanic. He also put in a large compressor and phumatic tools as well. He sold his truck and small trailer and once all of Jason's things were packed up in the new trailer, he himself headed out of twon.

The convoy travelled for two days before they had to stop again. They had almost travelled half way across the country already, but now everyone needed to rest and stretcht heir legs. The town they stopped in wasn't overly large, providing some half decent cover for the more normal looking of the troupe. The trucks were filled and some of the shops were emptied of snacks and soft drinks for the rest of the journey. Dahlia remained in the back of the truck with Jason, not wanting to interact much with the townspeople......

Jason woke up during the two day travel a couple times. He had really over did it for the illusion he had done. One person would have been easy, but for over a dozen it was something he should not have tried so soon. When he awoke he saw Dahlia and lifted a hand up to caress her face.

Dahlia smiled down at him and kissed the palm of his hand. 'We're almost home.' She told him, 'Another couple of days. We've stopped for gas and some snacks.'.....

He tried to sit up but fell back down as his head spun. "Guess I need a bit more training before I try something like I did again."

Dahlia nodded and smiled, 'I should think so.' She said, 'Pulling stunts like that so soon, you could have done yourself some damage.'.....

He nodded. "But there was a voice. A mans voice telling me to try. Telling me I could do it." he looked at her wondering if she knew.

Dahlia looked down at him again and gave a small smile, 'You'll meet him soon enough.' Was all she would tell him on the matter.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 14, 2011 6:01 pm

Jason looked at her. She knew more then she was telling and she was a lot better at blocking her thoughts. He wondered who this man was, Another pyschic, someone that she knew. He had a passing thought but dismissed it. It could not be, he was dead. "How much longer till we reach the desert camp?" he asked her.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sat May 21, 2011 2:20 pm

Dahlia looked down at him again and smiled once more. 'Another day, maybe two at the most.' she told him. A few minutes later, Blade got back in the cab and started up the engine. He had a small scowl about his face, but that was normal in small towns. He made no secret that he hated places like this and the small minded idiots that came with them.

The truck roared off the forecourt, followed quicly by the rest and they were back on the road again and the small town vanishing in the distance. 'What was it this time?' Dahlia asked as she curled a lock of Jason's hair around her finger.
Blade growled and tightened his grip on the steering wheel for a second. "He wanted double the rate for the gas and I wouldn't pay it." He said.
Dahlia lifted an eyebrow, 'Didn't he do that already last week?'
Blade nodded, "Yup." He said, "And told me in no uncertain terms that he would call the sheriff and have the troupe arrested for vagrancy and thieving if I didn't pay him the rate he said."
'Did you pay in the end?'
Blade growled and nodded, "I had no choice." He said, "He already had the phone in his hand and more people were coming into the store."
Dahlia pursed her lips lightly and then calmed herself by curling Jason's hair in her fingers again. 'We should consider a new route from the main drag next time.'
Blade nodded and looked over at Jason briefly, "How's he doing?"
Dahlia smiled and nodded, 'He's fine.'

Blade left the conversation at that and concentrated on the road ahead. The interstate was navigated with ease and soon enough, the air began to feel warmer and dryer. Loosely maintained roadsides became dusty and Blade felt more at ease. A deep red sun was setting over more rugged terrain and in the distance, one could see the haze of neon that was Las Vegas. The sun set quickly and soon enough, the road became a ghostly grey in clear moonlight. Blade turned off the main road now with a visible smile at tiny lights in the distance. "We're nearly home." He said with relief......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Jason listened to the conversation. The store owner sounded like a petty crook, taking advantage of those that wanted and could not aford trouble with the law. "Alright Jason, you were able to make a good illusion, now lets see if you can do something else." he thought to himself. He closed his eyes and let his mind relax. He thought of the store that they had been at. It apeared in his mind clear as if he was looking at it. A smile crept to his lips. It seemed as if he was walking to the store and then entering through the door.

He saw the man, a thin older man with a smirk on his face. He was delighted that he had made Blade pay more for the gas. A fleeting glimpse of a red headed woman came to Jason's mind and how the extra money would be used to help keep her. A woman entered the store wearing an apron. "Dinner is almost ready." she told the man. He noticed the wedding ban and he raised a brow. So he was cheating on his wife and keeping a nother woman.

The picture of letters in a drawer came to his mind, the smell of perfume as well. A thought to the woman, more of a suggestion had her going back into the house behind the store and going to that drawer. She opened it and saw the letters and pulled them out. Opening one she began reading it and her eyes grew wide and her face turned red with anger. Jason grinned as he opened his eyes. The man would be in big trouble with the Misses. Probably kicking him out on to the street. "No one messes with my friends." he thought. He was begining the get the hang of using his mind.

He turned his gaze on Dahlia, as she curled some of his hair with her fingers. He took her hand in one of his and brought it to his lips and kissed it. He was feeling better, much better with the rest he had. He moved to sit next to her and put an arm around her. After awhile Blade called back saying they were almost home. He sounded alot happier and more relaxed then when they had stopped for gas.

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Wed May 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Dahlia smiled as Jason seemed awake enough to sit with her instead of laying on her. 'My turn now.' She said silently as she half turned and put her head across his knees. She turned the handle for the window with one foot and then stuck both out to feel the desert winds on her skin. Then, with a smile, she closed her eyes.

Up front, Blade looked back and smiled. "Welcome back." He said. "We should reach home by dawn." He then pointed forward out of the windscreen to show the tiny lights in the distance. "Any luck and we won't have to stop." He looked through the mirror at Dahlia with her head on Jason's lap and her eyes closed. "She hasn't done that for years." He said quietly, then half looked back to see rather a large amount of leg showing from the bellowing skirts. "That either. You really are something real special, Jason O'Riley." After that, he concentrated on the disty track ahead.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Jason grinned and let her switch positions. He stroked her head softly and listened to what Blade was saying. He looked at her legs and chuckled a bit. She had shapely legs. Knowing that they were close made him feel good. He wanted to meet the othes and get his new life started up. He was kind of scared, yet excited.

The lights of the camp got bigger, but it took a very long time. Blade seemed happy to drive in silence while Dahlia seemed happy to fall asleep on Jason's lap. Every once in a while, she would wiggle her toes in the passing winds and give the odd sigh in her sleep, but otherwise, she was at peace. Slowly, but surely, the lights got big enough to make out some definition and as the skies became grey with the dawn, Blade could see the outline of the camp and began slowing down the truck gently. After all, he'd been doing over 90 miles an hour fo the last 6 hours......

Jason just relaxed and let her sleep. She was sleeping so peacefully he didn't want to move much to disturb her. When the lights finally got brighter and larger, he could see that they were almost there. The general outlines of the encampment was becoming visible in the early morning light. He gently shook Dahlia and whispered, "We can see the encampment ahead."

Dahlia gave a sligh groan at being disturbed, but that was it. It was Blade that answered him. "It's a little bit more than that." He admitted, "It's not all tents and trailers. We have some proper buildings too now. You should be able to see them soon."....

He chuckled at her not wanting to get up. He couldn't blame her. She had probably been up quite a bit looking after him. So he just relaxed and waited for them to get to the main encampment. He was sure she would want to be awake when they arrived.

It took another half an hour, but the convoy finally reached the camp's boundry. Blade stopped the truck and got out to a waiting hoarde of people. This place was like a little town! And one that seemed to have been left behind. It was liking stepping back into the townships of the wild west hundreds of years ago. everyone started filing out of the trucks to greet their loved ones and there

were plenty if people waiting. Dahlia woke and pulled her feet into the cab before righting herself and crawling forward to get out. With a huge grin, she threw herself into the arms of several waiting people. She was truly happy to see them. 'There's someone I'd like you to meet.' She told one ageing woman. 'He's new to the family.' The old woman stepped up and stared at Jason with wide eyes. "Oh Holy Jesus!"....

He felt Dahlia stiring and then she finally woke up and as the vehicle stoped she got out and greeted several people. He could see how they all loved her. He stepped out as she told an old woman that she wanted her to meet someone. The old woman looked at him and her eyes got wide. "What?" he asked.

Dahlia touched the woman on the shoulder and smiled gently. The old woman turned back to her. "He's the image of Bernie!" She excalimed, "How on this earth did you find him?" Dahlia gave a small laugh, 'I'll explain later Nanna.' She told the woman, then looked back to Jason. 'This is Nora. She and your grandfather were good friends."....

Now it was Jason's turn to perk up. Some one that knew his grandfather. He had a lot of questions that perhaps she could answer. He took one of her hands in his and shook it. "A pleasure to meet you. I hope you don't mind but I have so many questions about my grandfather."

Nora seemed almost bowled over entirely by Jason and she shook his hand, then kissed his cheek. "Any time." She told him with a smile, "Oh, I have so many stories of him and Dahlia and Blade. You'll think to go mad when I tell you it all." Blade stepped in at this point. "Now, now Nanna." He said, "Don't go filling him up so much so soon. He's got to settle in and get to know everyone and he and Dahlia have a lot of work to do before you can go filling his head with memories, ok?" Nora growled and slapped Blade's shoulder, "Leave off, Boy." She laughed, "He's got eternity to learn all that stuff. He don't got me for too long." And with that, he was literally dragged off through the crowd and all wanted to know him.....

Jason was pulled along by Nora into the crowd of people. He grabbed Dahlia's hand and pulled her along grinning. "I think they are all going to need to know about us." he said to her.

Dahlia gave an actual audible yelp as Jason pulled her with him, but then followed obediently behind. Blade was left with the troupe to sort thigns out and get settled away. Nora dragged Jason into her little house just off the main strip and quickly started pulling out boxes and books of things to show the man. Dahlia managed to wrangle free and went into the tiny kitchen to make some tea. Nora always preferred telling her stories over English tea......

He had to laugh at how excited Nora was and how she wanted to show him all she could. As Dahlia went to the kitchen, he sat down and watched Nora pulling out things. "You know about the strange gift I have inherited?" he asked her, remembering her comment to Blade.

Nora nodded as she pulled out the final box and dumped it at Jason's feet. "Oh yes." She told him, "After the years I've spent with this family, it would be impossible not to know, Sweetheart." She crouched down with a grunt and opened the first box. It was full of newspaper clippings, picture albums and various trinkets. Nora then sat back as Dahlia arrived with the tea. The large silver tray was set down on the table and Dahlia gave a small smile. 'I hope you're not tired.' She told Jason, 'You'll be here for days if she had the chance.'.....

He laughed. "Oh I think I have had plenty of sleep." he took her hand and brought it to his lips. "How are you doing?" he asked her.

'Just fine.' Dahlia replied, then smiled at Nora, who by this point, was putting a fine china cup to her lips. She looked at them both over the brim and began to laugh, though it sounded more like a cackle. "I knew it." She said, "After all these years, it had to be, didn't it.".....#

He looked from Dahlia and then to Nora as she made her comment. He grinned as he looked back at Dahlia. "I'll let her tell you." he said.

Nora laughed properly now and put her cup down. "Tell me?" She cackled, "She doesn't need to tell me anything. I can see it all over the pair of you. And about damned time too." She then pointed at Dahlia, "And about time you opened that mouth too. Been too long since I heard you speak." Dahlia looked down at her feet, clearly turning red.....

Jason gently pulled her down to sit on his lap, putting an arm about her. "It has been quite amazing. A few days ago I had no idea my life was going to change so much. But I am glad it has."Nora smiled and nodded in understanding, "They may not change, but they change so much around them." She said, "Finding you must have been a real treat." Dahlia nodded, but then shrugged her shoulders. 'It was pureply by chance, Nanna.' She said silently, 'He came to the show one night and Blade spotted him, called him down. The rest just happened really.' Nora furrowed her brow somewhat, but then smiled and drank more of her tea. "Help yourself to the boxes, Sweetheart." She told Jason, "And ask away.".....

He looked at the boxes and began looking at the pictures. He could spot Blade and Dahlia and the man that was his granfather with them. He also saw other posters with the likeness of his granfather. The Great Mysterio. He did resemble him for the most part, but he had his mother's looks mixed in as well. "If I understand it right, the gift skips a generation. My father did not get it but I did, so what about his grandfather, my great, great grandfather? How did it all start. Did he tell you?"

Nora sipped her tea and looked over some of the picture Jason had taken out. She nodded somewhat, "Yes, we knew about the generation gap." She said, "Never quite figured out how or why. Maybe God's way of saying that there can only be a few of you lot at a time. I was still very young when Bernie joined the family." She leaned over and pulled out another picture. Bernie was stood with

Dahlia and there was a toddler sat on her hip. "That's me." She said, pointing to the baby, "That was my first memory of him.".....

Not many of them. He wondered if there were others out there like him. That was one thing he was going to have to see if he could track down. To see how far back the family gift went. He looked at the photo of Nora as a toddler. That would have been some time before he had met his grandmother. He only knew his granfather as a man that loved to garden, and work on the house. His past was never discussed. What was he like back then, before he met his wife?"

Nora sighed and put her cup down, "Oh, he was such a rebel." She said, "Always getting into a scuffle over something. It was Rosie that calmed him down. Never liked her much and I was devastated when he married her.".....

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Thu May 26, 2011 4:10 pm

"A rebel?" he looked surprised. "Getting in to fights?" Now that did not sound like the man he knew as his grandfather. His grandmother must have really calmed him down. When she said that she didn't like his grand mother much he asked, "Why didn't you like her?"

Nora firmed her jaw for just a moment as a look of disgust and contempt flooded her face. A second later and it was gone again, but it was clear the women didn't get along. "She turned him away from us." She said coldly, "Made it very clear that she was better than the rest of us. She never helped out or anything with the carnivales, never dipped her hand in and never dropped her chin."...

That didn't sound like his grandmother either. She was always doing things, cleaning the house, helping with the gardening and what ever else needed to be done. But if she was not a part of the carnival life then she probably didn't like it to well. But he had a sneaky feeling that there was more to it then that. Just by the way Nora looked, it seemed that perhaps she had an intrest in his grandfather. "So he was a rebel and a trouble maker to some degree." he grinned. "Tell me about those times."

Nora smiled again and leaned forward to fish around in the box. She pulled out a few more pictures and handed them to Jason. "In this one." She said, "Bernie and Blade were doing a seperate tour. It was during the war and they didn't think it safe for the main troupe to go out together. They got into a real scuffle with some squaddies in Detroit." she handed him a newspaper clipping. "All eight of them jarheads were knocked on their asses. They spent 28 days in the county jail for misconduct and ordered to pay for the soldiers hospital care. Started over a singer in some bar, I think."....

Jason chuckled his grandfather taking on Marines. Now that would have been a sight to see. "A singer in a bar?" He had never seen his grandfather take a drink. "So Blade and my grandfather raised some cain."

Nora nodded with a smile, "Oh absolutely. The number of times Dahlia has had to go to the police stations to get them bailed beggers belief. Even had to send someone to get all three of them out a few times. They were like the terrible trio sometimes."......

He looked over at Dahlia. So she was in on it as well. "You to eh?"

Dahlia blushed a little, but then shrugged her shoulders, 'Maybe once or twice.' She admitted. Nora laughed and shook her head. "Those were the good old days." She sighed, "Now everything is different. It's sad really. That's why I stay here now. I feel left behind and older than my years out there.".....

Those days that she was talking about had been some wild times. Bootleging, mobsters, and many other things that made life quite exciting. "It would have been nice to have grown up in those days." he said. He looked at Dahlia again. "So he was not fully in control of his abilities at that time? You had to help him?"

Dahlia nodded, 'It was part of his charm at the time.' She told him, 'But then Rosie caught his eye and he really began to knuckle down and train.' Nora scoffed into her tea again, but said nothing.....

He noticed the way Nora looked when Dahlia mentioned rosie. Oh yes there had been something else there. "But the billings I have seen were before he came to you. How did he manage before that?"

Dahlia shook her head, 'I'm not entirely sure. I knew it had made him paranoid and unwell. Perhaps that's why he found us, or we found him. Things have a funny way of coming around just when you need them.' Nora scowled into her tea somewhat and then looked at Dahlia. "Open your mouth and speak for once." She ordered, "All this tele-whatsit stuff gives me a headache." Dahlia lifted an eyebrow and went to make some more tea.....

Jason sipped his as he continued to look at the photos. He could tell those that were of Nora and she seemed to be around his grandfather alot, untill Rosie showed up in them. "Why didn't you say something to him?" he looked at Nora as he nodded to the pictures.

Nora pursed her lips for a moment, then put her cup down. "I was still quite young when Rosie made her presence known. Had he been willing to wait a few more years, I would have said something. As it stood, she had the advantage."....

He put a hand on one of hers. One could not compete with a grown woman. He wondered what it would have been like if he had waited a few more years and Nora had been his grandmother. What would his father have done? Would he have been born into the life that Blade and Dahlia now lived. "It is so strange that my grandfather became a part of this family here, and now it seems it has come full circle with me finding my way here." his head turned to the small kitchen where he could see Dahlia. "I thank you for showing me these." he turned back to Nora and nodded at the boxes of things. "I think I had best meet the rest and I am sure by now those that have returned are talking about Dahlia and I to the others." he smiled warmly at her.

Nora made a funny bubbling sound with her lips and waved at Jason, "Blade will have told them everything already." She said, "That man wouldn't wait for anything with something as juicy as you two. Besides, I think they'll reckon it's about time. Most of them have only heard the story of her lack of speech. There's only two or three of us left alive that still remember it."....

He took a look out the window and saw a cluster of the people that he still had to meet. They were talking and looking in the direction of Nora's house. "I think you are right. Looks like most of them are waiting for us to come out."

"Ahh, let them wait." Nora chuffed, "Not like you're goin anywhere, is it. Besides, I have many more thigns to tell you about Bernie." She leaned forward then and grinned, "Like how Dahlia came up with her name for him. Now thats a real giggle fest, I promise.".....

"OH?" he looked at her and sipped his tea some more. He wondered what Dahlia would say about that.

Dahlia couldn't help but laugh silently and shake her head as she refilled the teapot an brought it back to the table. Nora laughed and sat back in her chair. "It was the summer of '22 and Bernie had been with us a few years already." She began, "That summer had been a killer. Intolerable heat and even worse at night. Used to get mozzies the size of horses out here and the dargonflies were deadly. Anyhoo, Bernie was out trying to spray around and kill them, or some of them at least and he stumbled. Fell face first into the spray tank." At this point, she started laughing. "And when he got back out again, he was covered in the stuff, but he had a black shirt on and when he wiped across his face, it left a load of black lines on his skin. Dahlia here started laughing, even made a sound with it too and said he looked like a big puffy bumble bee. Oh God, he looked a sight! It was so very funny. And when he started laughing too and dancing around buzzing like one, it just kinda stuck."....

Jason chuckled. He could picture it all in his mind. It sounded like they had alot of good times. He wished his grandfather was still alive. "So he was called Bumble Bee eh."

Nora nodded, "Then it was shortened to Bumble and he became kinda cuddly with it." She looked to Dahlia briefly, "He was her teddybear when Blade wasn't around. But he left with Rosie and made his family. I shouldn't complain really. After all, he had his part in making you, so he's still keeping Dahlia happy and safe even after all these years. Would be nice if he swung by a little more often than he does."....

Jason looked up at her comment. "What do you mean. He has been dead for years."

Nora furrowed her brow, "Then I been drinkin tea with some other guy for the last 50 years." she chortled, but when she looked at the scowl on Dahlia's face, she coughed and put her cup down. "Guess I just put my foot in it, haven't I." She offered to Dahlia in apology. Dahlia sighed through her nose and walked out of the house to find Blade......

He looked over at Dahlia as she had a scowl on her face. Dahlia left and Jason turned to Nora again. "You telling me my grandfather is alive?"

Nora knew she had overstepped the mark, but now it was out, she had no choice but to tell him the truth. "Course he is, Sweetheart." She told him, "Immortality comes at a price, a heavy one. If he stayed any longer than he did, people would have started asking questions. Why do you think they live all the way out here in the desert? He's been keeping tabs on you for years. Tells me everything you get up to, but he hasn't been here for a while. He's been trailing the twins, I think.".....

"Twins?" Now who were the twins he wondered. Certainly not any one related to him.

"Blade and Dahlia, silly." She said, "He's been worried about Dahlia and her lack of need to move on.".....

He nodded. So his grandfather was keeping tabs on him and Blade and Dahlia. "So Blade and Dahlia knew he was alive?"

Nora nodded, "Yes, they knew he was alive, but they didn't know where he was. They'd get the odd postcard from some far off country, or he'd be here visiting when they'd come home."..
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 pm

Bernie had been away for quite awhile now from the encampment. Over the past years since his wife had died he had returned to visit and keep in contact with his old friends. Now he was returning with his grandsons things and to meet his grandson after all those years that he had made everyone think he was dead. This time he would be coming back to stay. He had found out what he wanted to know. He had backtracked and found out how his family had gotten the so called gift of immortality. It was something he had wanted to find out ever since he learned he had the gift. His grandfather had told him about it be fore he had seen him die after being crushed in a mining accident.

Why had his grandfather not come back and told him that he was alive and told him personally about the gift. Then he thought of the voice in his head telling him what he should do. That had to have been his grandfather. He had been there watching him, and probably talking with Blade and Dahlia. "I think it best if I go after Dahlia and have a talk with Blade as well."

He got up and again thanked her for the information and the tea. He rose again and opened the door. He could see the others already surrounding Dahlia asking her questions

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Fri May 27, 2011 3:17 pm

Dahlia had barely made it out of the door before she was pounced on by half a dozen people asking questions. She figured Blade had given a few juicy hints, but that would be it and she would have to fill in the blanks. The only problem was that she desperately needed to talk to Blade and he was nowhere to be found. For those that could her her thoughts, she answered their questions as best she could and for those that couldn't, she gave the necessary hand signals and nods where needed. She'd become quite adept at sign language.

Back at the trucks, Blade was helping offload the luggage and sorting out the animal trailers. Everyone was chipping in and helping out and it didn't take long for the long line of trucks to become just a few. There were many asking him questions about what had happened on this last trip and he was happy to tell them a few titbits. Mostly, they wanted to know who the stranger was. Many had never seen Bernie before and so wouldn't know that Jason was family. When he had finished with the trucks, he went into his caravan and took out a small wooden box that was intricately carved. He carried it out carefully and then went to what could be considcered the town's main building.

The darkened building was simple in design and had only minimal furniture. He went passed the main room and into a side room where another box sat on a small podium in the corner. The two boxes matched perfectly and when Blade sat his on the podium with the one already there, something strange began to happen. Blade's box was taken up by the other, as though absorbed, and a warm glow came from the merging. Blade smiled and left the room before going into the main room again. He looked around as the warm glow seemed to seep through the walls and smiled. "There you go old girl." He said to no-one, "Filled back up and ready to give your life again." He left the building and went back into the street to make his way to the real home he shared with Dahlia.

Still surrounded by people, Dahlia was feeling a little flustered now and claustrophobic. She spotted Jason coming out of Nora's and tried to smile. 'End house' Her mind called to him, 'Blue door with ivy hanging over it. Blade will be there to answer your questions.' She then tried to get away from the crowding people, but they wouldn't let her go just yet. Some of them wanted to know about a few lingering bruises on her arms and neck and all of them wanted to know about Jason. 'I'd like to be saved now please!' She begged him......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next