The Uimate Role-Playing Group Ever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terra Centuria (Res for Raven)

2 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Terra Centuria (Res for Raven) Empty Terra Centuria (Res for Raven)

Post by questor Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 am

Haydren's Wall. A massive, fortified wall that streached across the northern part of England to separate the two halves of the island. It had taken years of labor to build and it was manned night and day by the legions of Rome that occupied the southern part. To the north was the wild and uncivilized tribes of the Celts. They were savage and dangerous and had at times managed to get around the wall and attack villages of those that had come to see the Romans as friends and in many cases as family.

Many a Roman soldier had taken a Celtic woman as a wife. This helped make for a strong bond between the people of the south and those of Rome. They became more civilized and enjoyed the fruits of Roman culture. When not being a soldier, the Roman troops farmed. Many had small farms that were given to them for their service. Those that retired from the Army took in more land and set up estates with a large house enclosed by a wall and had servents to tend to the fields and other chores.

Tryton hoped that one day he to could retire and enjoy the life of ease. He had been a soldier for ten years and had risen in the ranks to be a Captain and had his own company of calvery. They patrolled the inner part of the wall as well as going forth into the north to scout out the land and see what the Celts there were up to. Many a battle had he fought and at times those Celts to the north came to know his standard and shied away from him and his troops.

Tryton and his company of calery were on another patrol, on the other side of the wall. In dangerous teritory. It had been reported that one of the celtic leaders, some sort of druid, shaman, or wiazard had been seen in the area they were patroling. It was in hopes of perhaps capturing this leader that he and his men were out there. By nightfall they had seen or heard nothing, so they made camp. The usual rough palasade of branches and such, sentries and a couple of roving guards on the outside , was a nightly routine when on the other side of the wall.

questor

Male Number of posts : 2156
Registration date : 2011-07-19

Back to top Go down

Terra Centuria (Res for Raven) Empty Re: Terra Centuria (Res for Raven)

Post by LadyRaven Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:50 am

18 years previously -

"Monstrosity! I pray the Gods cast their thunder down and destroy the creations!"
"Be cautious, my son, for these heathens have little faith in the old Gods of this land. They have defiled it and nothing has been done to stop them."
"Ha!" Said the son, "Old Grand mother could swat them down with her stick and not break a sweat!"
"You would be wise to think otherwise, my son. Think of your new wife. We must stay alive to protect the next generation and Ambershay is very important to that. These Romans respect nothing, revere nothing. Would you get yourself killed and leave her alone to fight them off? You know well they would think nothing to raping her and selling her to some fat Roman across the sea for pleasure. It is your task, Silas, to keep your woman safe from them and pray she gives you the sons and daughters you will need to carry on your bloodline and hers."
"Yes Father."

That was the beginning of the end. As the last rites and gifts were made to the Gods in celebration of Silas' marriage to Ambershay, the shaman's youngest daughter, the final stones were placed in the great monstrosity that came to be known as Hadrian's Wall. And no less than a year after that final stone was laid, the Romans began their skirmishing up North. They had tried before the wall, but the Celtic tribes had fought so fiercely and effectively that they had been driven back. The imposing structure was meant as a symbol of Roman Briton and uncivilised Pictish and Celtic North. The skirmishes were brief but brutal and despite their best efforts, it wasn't long before the tribes were forced into hiding, lest the Romans come and burn their villages and totems to ash. It was to this world that Silver was born.

"Ambershay, we must hurry. They will catch us!" Silas demanded, but he knew his beloved wife could not hold on much longer.
"I cannot, Husband!" She cried back, holding her swollen belly as she staggered through the forest. "She comes and will not wait."
"Then take hold of me." Silas said and firmly put his shoulder into her side to hold Ambershay upright. Looking back, he could see the insigne of the legion coming for them. They were catching up and Amber couldn't go on any longer.

Crying out, Ambershay dropped to her knees, gasping for breath and praying for relief. Today, it would not come. The legion caught up with Silas and his wife and soon surrounded them. Silas fought well to defend his beloved wife, but outnumbered and outmatched in weaponry, he finally fell to the centurion's blade and Ambershay could only watch on in horror and feel her heart splinter in grief at their brutality. "I curse you!" She cried at them as her labour made it impossible for her to move. "And I curse your bloodlines!" She screamed.
"Heathen witch!" One of the soldiers shouted at her and slashed at her with his blade. "Die with your bastard lover and that devil inside you!" He swung again, opening Amberdshay's side to bleed out. He made one final thrust right into her belly to kill the unborn child. The soldiers then left, thinking their task done, but Ambershay had not quite passed over. She used her dying breaths to call for the Gods to save her child. That call brought to her a small pack of wolves, Dire Wolves. Roman soldiers feared them greatly and stories of their packs and hunts had travelled the length and breadth of the country. Ambershay looked upon the lead wolf and reached out her hand to it. The wolf growled at her and then lowered its head, understanding the magical power of this woman, her connection to the ground she now soaked with her blood. Her final breath delivered the wounded infant and the wolf gathered it up in her maw and took it away.

This was the world Silver was born into.

17 years later -

The skirmish was close, but Silver had long spotted them and so had her family. Romans were dangerous creatures, far more dangerous than most in this land. Being a little smarter than your average wolf, Silver had learned long ago to avoid them at all costs. She'd known from birth almost just how vicious and uncaring these creatures were. Her claws dug into the dirt as she froze to watch the company pass her and her siblings by, completely unaware of just what they were walking past. But these days, even the Dire Wolves were not feared anymore, at least, not from their vast wall of stone and their fire. The company passed and Silver turned on her backside and shot off with the rest of the juveniles back to their den.

Silver's den was quite large, but then the pack was quite large. It took up most of the root network of a giant oak in the forest, including several of the surrounding trees too. Silver, like her juvenile siblings, came in through the back way. They had yet to earn the right to take pride of place at the front with their elders. That however, wasn't to say they would try once in a while.

"You are late, Silver." Came a sharp voice from just inside the entrance. "How many times have I warned you about being out during the day?" Silver growled in response only to feel a sharp swipe across the back of her thigh. "Use your words Silver. You may suckle at the teat of a wolf, but you are and will forever remain human."
"Sorry Merlin." Silver hissed as she rubbed the sore spot.
"Now tell me, why did you venture out when I expressly forbid it. Your parents agreed with this and understand the consequences of it, so why must you insist on rebelling?" The old man snapped.
Silver turned about and flexed her claws some before she sat down at Merlin's feet and lowered her head, "I was curious, that's all. They are just humans, same as you and I, why must I fear them?"
"Do you not remember the story of your blood mother and father?" Merlin asked.
Silver nodded, "I remember." She said with a low voice. Just then, one of the pups came racing past, snapping his little maw at Silver and Silver shot off after him.
Shaking his head, the ageing wizard got to his feet and emerged from the den's entrance. He was met by the pack Alpha and lowered his head in respect. "She has returned safely, Sire." He said to the towering wolf. "But to remain so, she must be kept hidden from the Roman soldiers. The prophecy is not yet Nye. She is not ready to face them." In response, the Dire Wolf growled low and harsh at the little human. Merlin nodded in understanding, "I know that Sire, but she is not ready to be out and about with the rest of them. She may reside with your pack, taken meat from your own maw, but to face this enemy, she will need much more than her wits." Another growl and this time, the Alpha snapped his maw at Merlin. "As you wish Sire." He said, "I shall forever remain your servant and friend."

After saying goodbye in the proper manner, Merlin gathered up his things and left the den. He would return in a few weeks to see how Silver was progressing. She had come a long way from her battle born beginnings, but she reminded him so much of her shaman mother. She had been much the same at this age, rebellious, mischievous and unpredictable. The only real difference between them, Ambershay had the presence of mind to be human about it. Silver had nothing of those inhibitions. Her steel claws, fashioned by her own hand no less, her silver camouflage in her eyes and hair, her movement and manner. Even now, he still had to remind himself sometimes that Silver was actually human and not Dire Wolf, as the Alpha would have her be.

From within the patrol, one of the soldiers began looking around him and feeling his fear rising. "We shouldn't be in this area." He said quietly to the man next to him, "This is Dire Wolf territory."

Merlin knew nothing of the patrol as he made his way home through the forest, but it would take him right across the path of the oncoming force and he was caught right in their line of sight with nowhere to hide. "Oh my!" He squeaked, holding onto his staff for dear life. No skirmish had ever come this close to his home before, nor the den he protected. He wanted to run back to them and warn them about the Romans, but he also knew that in doing so, he would put them and Silver in danger. But to lead them home would bring danger to the village nearby too. And so he stayed where he was and simply sat down on a fallen log to wait for them. "Forgive me, Ambershay." He whispered, "I have failed you and the Gods you serve. Forgive me." He lowered his head and then waited for the inevitable......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Female Number of posts : 2299
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:49 am

Tryton laid on his cot covered with furs. He thought of when he was younger, a child and he walked with his mother and father through one of the towns that the Romans had made. He often thought of those days. remembering his parents and the days of peace and love. His father was a Roman soldier and his mother one of the Celts that had joined the Romans. She had been the daughter of one of the local chiefs and had caught his fathers eyes during some peace negotiations with the tribe. Rome was not totally brutal or wanting to kill and rape. They tried to make peace first. His mother's people found that peace was better then dying, fighting for some one that thought he could unite all of Briton against the Romans. There were those commanders though that took liberties on interpeting orders and the like. They made it even harder for Rome to get what they already had and caused the loss of more lives then was necessary.

His father, Marcus Santoris had come from Rome with one of the Legions. He was and officer in the legion and had been apart of the negotiation with his mothers' tribe. Marcus took Selena as his wife and knew that he would probably not be returning to Rome. He liked being away form the center of civilization and closer to nature. Besides he was one of many sons of a Senetor and would not inherit anything.

The great wall had not yet been completed when Trylon had been born. The barbaric Celts and Picts in the north often raided south, killing and burning everything they could. They even killed their own people, those that had turned to Rome. It was in one of those Raids that Trylon lost both his parrents. The barbarian leader Merlin had lead an attack on the small town that his father and men guarded. The battle was brutal and savage. There were more of the barbarians then Roman soldiers. Trylon watched as his father battled bravely to defend the people and his mother and was killed and then the barbarians cutting his mother down with out a thought that she was one of their kind. He saw Merlin there, saw him watching as his mother was killed. Hatred grew with in him. He wished to run out and kill everyone of them. But he was a boy of five and could do nothing except be killed like the other children in the town. When it was all done, they left, fading into the darkness as the town burned. He was found by the Roman Soldiers that had come in response to the light of the fires. By the time they had arrived all but Tryon was dead.

He heard the call of the sentries and he immediately was on his feet and running towards those that had made the alert. He looked over the baracaide and saw the old man. The same old man that years earlier had watched his mother die. Ignoring the shouts of his men that it could be a trap, Trylon pushed aside a part of the barracaide and moved to the old man drawing his sword, his father's sword. It had been forged from metal mined in Britton and had been given to his father by his mother. It was not the gladius that all Roman Soldiers used. It was longer and was well balanced and made. Hate burned in Trylon's eyes as he stood before the old man sitting there. He raised his sword to strike. To cut the man before him in half. But he did not. He remembered what his mother had told him of her people and even though the man before him had been the leader of those that had killed both his parents, he had not been the one to do it. He was a leader of the enemy and he would take him back to his superiors to be questioned and executed.

"Get up and move to the camp." Trylon ordered in the man's native toung.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Merlin remained silent and still as one of the Romans came running at him and when his blade was drawn, the old man believed it would finally be over, but he then hesitated and Merlin chanced a look upward at the stalling centurion. His old brow furrowed for a moment. He knew this man, or at least, he was familiar in some way. He just wasn't sure yet how. He was then ordered up on his feet and to move to their encampment. He did so without hesitation.

Hobbling as best he could on his staff, Merlin went to the camp and carefully sat back down again on another log a little away from the rest of the Roman soldiers. He made no aggressive or quick movement and honestly speaking, it was hard for him these days to do little more than skitter along on his staff like the old haggard man he was. Age and war had been unkind to him in ways only another warrior could understand. He had devoted his life to protecting the tribes under his care, a duty that he still carried with him and would do until the moment he died.

After adjusting his position a little better, Merlin began to stare at each of the soldiers. Many of them looked as Romans had always done, but there were some that had a paler nature about them. These ones, Merlin began to study a little closer. These ones seemed to have bluish eyes rather than the dark brown of their brothers and their hair was paler too, rather more blondish or reddish, than dark brown or black. It seemed their fathers and grandfathers had taken native women for their wives or whores. His eyes then fell on their commander. He couldn't shake the familiarity he felt with the young man. Such hatred in those unusually soft brown eyes. Such hatred for him alone. There had been many looks of hatred come his way over the years, but Merlin had rarely seen this kind of hate. This was deep seated and raw. And he couldn't deny his voice any longer.

"Roman." He said, not knowing the man's name. "You look at me as though I have torn your world apart. By what Gods have I done you wrong? I am an old man, have been for some time. It has been more than 15 summers since I last held a weapon in my hand. By what offense have I wronged you, or is it simply because of the land I belong to?"
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:16 pm

Tryton followed the old man to the camp and through the barricade. As he entered it was closed up and made tight. Anxious eyes looked out into the darkness for any sign of movement None came which made them even more nervous. They all had read the discription of Merlin. The tatoos and markings on his skin, along with his physical description, told them they had captured Merlin, the wizard of the barbarians. It had been to easy and again that made them nervous. What hidious plan did he have? How many of his murderous barbarians were out there waiting to attack?

Tryton knew that the old man was regarding him as he seemed to find another perch to sit on. Then he spoke to Tryton and he turned his head looking at the old man with that hatred again, blazing in his eyes. "How have you wronged me?" Tryton asked, his voice filled with anger. "Remember back twenty years. To a small town that had been built by Roman and Britons. South of the wall before it was completed."

Tryton now stood facing the old man, towering above him. "You and your muderous barbarians attacked it. Your men killed my father as he tried to defend helpless women and children. You stood there and watched as your men cut down my mother, one of your own kind. Your men murdered helpless women and children, and then left as the town burned around the dead."

"Torn my life apart? You did more then that old man." Tryton wanted to tear the old man limb from limb and hand his body parts on poles for all his people to see. But he held back, even though the hate and anger burned his soul.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Merlin listened with deep intent and as the story of the commander was unfolded, he began to feel a deep slice open up in his heart and he looked down with a sad nod.  "Not quite twenty years I think."  He said, "But close enough."  He leaned heavily on his staff and seemed to slump some over it and the log as he tried to ease his weary and broken body.  "Yes, I remember it well.  I could only but watch from the outside as they turned from my counsel."  He then laughed emptily, "Not that you would care to hear such a thing.  I can see it and feel it in every fibre of you, young commander.  What you saw shaped what you became and little would now change that vision of my people.  I had come at first to beg a truce between the Romans and the marauders from the north, but they had no ear to listen to my reason that day.  Nor had they want to listen to the consequence of their act.  Romans invaded our lands, stole our grain, our livestock and our women and children.  Shipped it all away across the great sea to Rome and the fat men there dressed in silk and graced with the gold stolen from our mother's heart.  They did not see what I saw that night."

Looking up once more at the man stood before him, he finally recognised those eyes and he began to smile.  "Your mother was greatly loved to me.  This land flowed in her as it does all my people, but take heed, young Tylon,"  Yes, Merlin remembered the boy's name that had stood so strong and proud that night as his village was burned to ash, "The wars of rich men have not yet done with you, nor I.  I have few days left in me now and I will not see much more bloodshed, but you will and I pray it does not taint your soul more than it has done already."

Looking around, he could see the company becoming nervous and on edge and he couldn't help but shake his head.  "It would be wise to move your company away from this place, Commander."  He said, "It is said that Dire Wolves still claim this part of the forest.  They are not to be trifled with, you know.  I have seen your men wearing the pelts of their smaller brothers and sisters, but I doubt you could take on one of this pack.  Perhaps you should turn around and go back to your wall where it is safe from such predators."
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:10 pm

Trylon listened to the old man, but his hate and anger did not subside. He was their leader and he cared not if he had come to seek peace. They had slaughtered everyone in that town and had seemed to enjoy it. A leader needed to be in control of his men as he was of his. He had fought his share of the barbarians and even though every one of their women could bare male children that would one day grow to hate and attack the Romans and their families and retainers, and that every male child that lived now could do the same, he only killed those that attacked them. Even if they came upon one of their villages, he would not allow his men to slaughter women and children.

"It does not matter what you came for that night. You allowed what happened to happen and did not even try to stop, and don't even try to say you knew her for you did not. My grandfather, her father told me of her when I was growing up with out her. He was proud of her and of my father. He had helped bring peace and prosperity to his people. Oh we sent many back to Rome. Even before I was full grown many were sent. But those were those that fought against us and would have killed us if they could. Mostly men, prisoners that no doubt was sold as slaves or to become gladiators."

When the old man mentioned Dire Wolves he laughed. "You see this sword old man? It was made here from the metals of the earth of this land and cooled in the blood of Dire Wolves. My mother told my father that it would protect him from such creatures, that they would know it and fear it. Perhaps I will find out if that story is true or not, for we are not leaving here until the morrow."

Tryton then motioned for two soldiers to manacle the old man and place him in one of the tents and guard him. He then made his rounds of the perimeter and talked to the men trying to calm their fears and give them encouragement. They had an important prisoner that would bring great credit to them and perhaps rewards. That indeed brought up their spirits.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Merlin listened with a heavy heart to each word the Roman spoke, feeling that deep seated hatred and anger as though it was his own. And somewhere in that old soul, it was his own too. "You came to our land with banners of war, weapons to bring blood and death upon us. Did your predecessors truly believe that such acts would not offend the natives of this land?" He asked. It was a simple question to be truthful, but had at the same time, the most complicated answer. Certainly, one could answer simply yes or no, but then that one wold have to consider the reasonings of why and wherefore that such a simple answer could be given. Merlin doubted very much that this young soldier, this Roman, could understand such complexions. His mother would have and her ancestors before her, but it seemed that understanding had died with her that night. But Tryton did have one remark that was correct. It no longer mattered. It was that simple statement from him that made the old Druid realise just how lost everything had become. Perhaps Silver would be ready then sooner than planned.

When he was manacled and separated from the other men who were clearly nervous by his presence and of course the knowledge of exactly where they were, Merlin took some time to consider his next move. Now, unlike men, wolves did not discriminate between good and evil. They saw only prey and predator. With the exception of Silver, anything that was not their pack, was food. Romans were food. Anything with Romans was also food. Yes, Merlin could be spared that fate if he were to make it clear to the Alpha of his presence, but that would alert the soldiers to him being more than a simple Briton heathen. So, should the pack come upon them, Merlin decided he would simply accept his death with them as part of the hunt and nothing more. It would be an honourable death compared to the waiting torture and humiliation the Romans would offer him. As it happened, his accepted death would greet him sooner rather than later.

Scouting for that night's meal, two lower ranks came upon the camp after following their nose. Being so close to the den, the intruders were deemed a great threat and had to be removed quickly. There were new pups in the den this season and they had to be protected. This was something Merlin had yet to learn and had Silver not been so distracted earlier, she would have told him. The whelps reported it back quickly and the hunt began. Every able wolf was called to defend the den, Silver included.

It started as rustling in the distance of the dark. This was enough to bring back that palpable fear. Then a flash of night eyes, silver and fur. Then came the howling. The soldier's final warning to leave. Merlin saw and heard all this in good time and lifted his head with acceptance and pride. "You should have heeded my warning, young commander." He said to Tryton. "Now you face not just one Dire Wolf, but many. You could fight with a hundred legions of men and still fall to their rage. You invade their forest and disrespect their land. Now you must pay the debt." Slowly, he dropped his staff to the floor, clearing him of any identification to the oncoming attack. To one that knew Merlin and his ways, it would be apparent then what he was doing and why, but he doubted they or Tryton truly understood it. Struggling with his manacles, he slid off the log and got to his knees to wait for that sting of life to leave him and he knew somewhere in his soul, it would be his beloved prodigy that would deliver the blow. "Make peace with your Gods, Romans, for mine have no mercy. I am ready to die. Are you?"

At the edge, not that far from Merlin, one already terrified soldier made a break for it and started running. He became the first victim of the huge pack now encircling Tryton and his men. His death cries sent chills down the backs of the rest and Merlin settled himself to wait his turn, speaking his prayers softly to the Gods above to forgive Silver for killing one of their messengers, and to give her the strength to see it through. No defence would hold back the pack for very long and no amount of needed relief would come in time and Silver would finally learn the art of war according to man.

Silver eyes flashing, hair softly rustling like fur around her flanks, the furless wolf moved through her pack, seeking out her prey and thinking only as one of the unit she had been assigned. As the strongest of the juvenile selection and the fastest of them all, Silver was to lead the first assault with her siblings to give chase to the soldiers. She was even permitted to make the first kill, so long as it went to the Alpha of course. She felt her claws ache against her hands, eager to draw first blood and defend her territory for her father, the Alpha, and the new generation suckling at her mother's teats underground. She made her call, a long, high pitched howl that was clearly not Dire Wolf, but clearly not human either. And she led the charge towards the firelight of the camp.
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:01 pm

Tryton having been raised in Briton knew of the dire wolves and his grand father had told him much about them. The only way to defeat a pack of them was to take on their alpha and prevail. Defeating the Alpha would make the rest of the pack back down. Challanging the alpha would also make the pack hesitate for they would wait to see if their Alpha was victorious. He also had been told of the belief of the people of Briton that the dire wolves were incarnations of their gods. Tryton had no use for gods. They had not protected his parents. Those of Briton he had no use or love for and those of Rome was far away and of no use to him. One could say he didn't believe int he gods. But he did believe in the power of the Dire Wolves and what they could do.

One of his men paid the price for being cowardly and he moved to the center of the camp. "Shield Wall!" He commanded and the soldiers backed up to form a square, their shields locked and their lances leveled, pointing out towards the pack as they circled. He then drug Merlin to the center of the square with him and said, "Now old man, watch." From where he was he scanned the outskirts of the square. The fires of the camp allowing him to see the huge wolves. One stood out from them as their alpha and another made him look twice to make sure he was not seeing things. A human female was among them, moving with them on all fours as if she was one of them. He had heard tales of such things but had never seen such a thing.

He drew his sword which seemed to glow red in the light of the fires, as if blood ran through it. It was the way the sword told its owner that dire wolves were about. He moved to one side of the square and had the men there part for a movment to allow him through. They closed the opening as soon as he was through. He moved forward a bit and then pointed his sword at the Alpha and gave out a great battle cry that filled the air. He stood there and waited and finally the huge beast moved forward and as expected he growled out a call and the rest of the pack stopped and backed off giving him room. This made Tryton smile as he began to circle with the dire wolf

The Dire Wolf Alpha sniffed the air and growled deeply as it smelled the sword. It reeked of Dire Wolf blood and the color had not changed. He eyed Tryton and knew this was not an ordianary man and his long metal stick was no ordenary weapon. As the Alpha appraised Tryton, he himself appraised the Alpha. He was large and powerful. He watched the eyes of the beast for his grandfather told him that they would tell you when they would strike. Sure enough a flicker of movement in them alerted Tryton just before the Alpha sprang. Tryton turned on his feet and brought his weapon to bear, but at the last moment he turned the blade so only the flat of the sword blade struck the head of the Alpha. Something deep within Tryton seemed to tell him not to kill the beast. He was a magnificent speciman of the creature and deep down in Tryton's heart, he had no desire to kill it.

The flat of the blade struck the Alpha as hit flew past Tryton. The blow made the alpha flip in the air and it landed hard on the ground on it's back. it lay there a moment and then slowly got to its feet. But Tryton did not wait for it to fully recover but attacked and again hit it with the flat of his blade, knocking it once more to the ground and then he put the point of the blade to its throat and looked into its yellow eyes.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:27 pm

Merlin watched from his vantage point as Tryton demanded of him and couldn't help but wonder just what truly made this man. The protected shell was expected, but what the commander did was not and Merlin had to lift his brow at this. The fight was brief, but instead of killing the Alpha, the commander did something utterly unpredicted. He stared the Dire Wolf down the glowing red blade. The old man stared in genuine respect now and nodded that respect and understanding. "May the Gods punish me for assuming you a Roman fool, Commander." He said from his still kneeling position.

At the edge of the circle, Silver watched on in horror as the Roman first went on the defensive, but then opened up a challenge to her father. And then, make a fool of the wolf! That anger spread to the rest of the pack and they began to growl and snarl their anger at the humans, but also at the their Alpha for losing the fight so quickly. The only thing that stopped them turning from him entirely was the blade they all knew. Silver knew it better than all for Merlin had told her the story of its creation. She began to pace, others falling in behind her as they waited for what was to happen next.

At the tip of Tryton's blade, the Alpha growled and flicked his ears at the human. This blade was a wolf killer. But he still had his pride to keep. Lifting his maw a little higher, he exposed his throat, daring Tryton to make that final move. Either way, he had lost honour among his pack, but at least if he died, his beloved daughter would gain vengeance to take her place among the higher ranks as was her right. Since the night his mate had brought the wounded girl pup to him, he had known she was something more than just a screaming human infant. Silver was not just one of his offspring, she was his pride and joy and he had been grooming her for a few years now to lead the pack when he finally met his end. This war of the humans served only to make her stronger for the task he had given her.

Eyes flickering in the firelight, the Alpha dared Tryton once again to end his life and begin the war in earnest and at the edges, the pack seemed to goad him on. From his knees still, Merlin started new prayers, but instead of quietly, he said them aloud for all to hear. "Great Gods, hear me!" He called, "Your Guardian is not yet ready to leave this world. Take me instead, for I am ready to embrace your touch! Great Gods of the earth and skies, hear me!" Whether he knew it or not, he was only making things worse, for no sooner had his prayer been spoken, Silver broke the law.

Leaping forward and into full view of the soldiers and her beloved father, Silver roared her fury at the scene before her. The soldiers hidden behind their shields didn't seem to have a clue what they were looking at, but their shock was outweighed yet by their fear of the pack still surrounding them. Silver brandished her claws at Tryton as she slowly rose to her feet. As naked as the day she was born, Silver stood before Tryton, her tiny stature a complete contrast to the strength she had already proven. Her claws seemed to part slightly as she tensed her fists and then opened her hands wide, letting her fingers curl back neatly against the sharp steel before returning to fists again. "Release me father, Roman." She demanded, "Pick a fair fight for once in your miserable life."
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 am

Tryton could see the defience in the Alpha's eyes and he smiled. He would be the same way. He rose to his feet and raised the sword and then drove the blade into the ground. "Not today. I give you your life wolf. Take your pack and leave." Then he heard the voice of a woman and looked up to see the human female on her feet and her claws. She was wanting to challange him.

The Alpha growled again, not quite sure what to make of this, but he didn't hesitate in getting to his paws as quickly as he could. Growling low in his throat, he began to back away towards Silver. He flicked his long tail at her, having heard her challenge. She had no right to do that, but he could understand why she did it. As the pair seemed to lock their gaze, the Alpha knew his daughter would not back down until blood had been drawn. Silver lowered her head some, but kept her gaze with the Roman. She had many insults on her tongue to throw at him for disgracing her father, but the only thing that seemed to come from her was the worst insult of all. Filling her mouth with spittle, she took a deep breath and hurled it at the Roman, spitting in his face with genuine malice. "This is our land!" She snapped darkly, "Go back to your wall and leave us alone!"....

Tryton didn't quite know what to make of the woman, but he was not about to fight her. The Alpha had been defeated and in a way he was not the Pack's Alpha. When the woman spoke again saying that this was their land, he shook his head. This may be your land but it is also mine. He then looked at the Alpha. "Take you pack and leave, we will not attack or harm your pack if you do not hunt or attack us. I will put these woods under my protection and no other will come here but us." He basicly was ignoring the woman. He could see that she desperately wanted to fight him. But he could not really keep his eyes off her naked body.

Silver growled in her throat as the man seemed to pass her off as nothing. Behind her, her packmates also began to growl and snarl with her at the insult. "Take your men and leave this land." She said darkly, "And your can suck Jupiter's cock for protection if you like, I don't care." Oh, she knew of the Roman Gods, she knew of many things most women had no right to according to men. At her side, her father said and did nothing. Until otherwise, Silver was next in line and so far, she had shown honour. "We hunted and fed these lands long before you red bastards arrived and we will do so long after you are dead. You send all the legions you like, Roman, I will send them back to you in pieces!" And she would. "You have until the moon reaches her peak, then I kill each and every one of you myself. Then pray your mothers don't find your heads thrown over your wall with your cocks in your mouths." ...

Tryton chuckled. "Is it not the law of the Pack, that who shall ever defeat the Alpha, becomes the Alpha." he said, and then called out to the old man, "Is that not right old man?" He didn't wait for a replay for he saw the Dire wolf's eyes and knew he was right. The woman was intelligent and had the ability to speak. He wondered about that and then remembered the old man was there in the woods and shook his head. He knew of the Dire Wolves and the Pack so he must be friends with them and probably knew the woman. Tryton looked at Silver, "As the new alpha, I command you and the others to retern to the Den!"

Silver narrowed her eyes some, but she did have a return for that. "The Alpha still lives." She said sharply, before pointing one finger at Merlin. "Keep your tongue, old man, lest I remove it for you." She snapped without looking at him. She then pointed her finger at Tryton, "And as his next in line, it's up to me if you are accepted. You are not and you will never be welcome in this forest, in our den, nor at my flank. You digust me and you dishonour my family just by breathing. Now leave!"...

Tryton chuckled. She was a fiesty one that was for sure. By the look of her metal claws, he knew she could also be deadly. "Yes he lives, but by my desire, therefore I think it is up to him wheather I am accepted in the Pack and Den. It matters not if he lives, he has been defeated and therefore he forfits the right of being the alpha, unless I deem otherwise." he looked at the Dire Wolf and again said, "Take your Pack back to the Den. All except this one." and he pointed to Silver. The wolf looked at Silver and then at Tryton and growled back at Silver, then nudged her with his maw. In the language of the wolf, he told her to go, and seek the councel of Merlin.

Silver growled low in her throat once more and then boldly, she turned and snapped her teeth at her father. The wolf, in return, flattened his ears, realising now that even as her father, she no longer answered to him. He looked again to Tryton and growled once more, not liking what was happening at all and it showed in every inch of his massive being. He nudged Silver once more before she swiped at him with her claws, actually marking his snout this time and he backed off. He had lost her respect by cowtowing to the human. This act also put the rest of te pack on egde, not knowing now quite what was supposed to happen. It seemed the male human wanted control, but Silver disagreed. Likely, they would lean towards her, for they had known her all their lives and she them. After all, Romans were food and this male looked, sounded and smelled Roman. Still shackled and on his knees, Merlin looked on in shock and horror at what was happening. "Silver, don;t..." He began, but Silver snapped her head at him, "You do not speak here!" She said pointedly, "You don't ever speak here again!" Her eyes then went back to the human and she glowered at him. "I do not accept you and neither do my siblings. My father may have lost his standing to you, but he will not lose his pack to you." She then looked up at the moon briefly, "Time is running out. She rises to her peak very soon."....

Tryton did not budge. It seemed that the woman was disobeying the Dire Wolf. Then the moon light struck the blade of the sword and the light bounced off it into Silver's eyes. "Not now child." came a females voice, "The time is not right and he is a son of this soil. "Listen to Merlin, for he knows more then you think and was sent to teach you."

Tryton did not move, so neither did Silver, standing her ground as any proud wolf would. When the light from the blade hit her eyes, she faltered, blinking it away as a voice came to her head. It made her even more angry and she began to growl anew at what she was told. "He is no son of this land." She snapped quietly, "And I am not your child. You will not speak again." Her eyes flashed to the blade in the ground and she felt its power deep in her soul, she felt the earth herself, Gaea, speaking to her through it, but for now, her anger burned too deeply and too hot for her to let this treachery go. "Your time lessens, Roman." She said to Tryton again before she growled over her shoulder, giving the signal to attack on her command. Even her father fell in line behind her, seeing what she was doing and he knew she had every legitimate right to challenge the human to rule.....

The wind began to pick up until it blew strongly, The stars disapeared as did the moon as dark clouds filled the sky and the sound of thunder began rolling across the land. Behind Silver, between her and the Pack a bolt of lightning struck making the wolves back up and whine in fear. Another bolt hit closer to them and they backed up further. Tryton watched Silver and what was happening. He did not believe in the gods, but this had all of the mannerisms of something not natural. He retrieved his sword and sheathed it. "We stay! We go when I say we go." Two of the wolves tried to move forward but another bolt struck just before them. Now they were howling,and whinning in fear.

Silver looked to the skies as the winds picked up and clouds covered the moon and stars. When the thunder rolled across the clouds, Silver looked back at Tryton once more and started to back away from him, but a bolt of lightening stopped her and she spun on her heels to see where the strike had landed. She then spun again as another stopped two of her brothers coming for her. "Enough!" She yelled after hearing Tryton state he was staying. Silver was more than angry now, she was furious! "I said enough!" She yelled again, turning on the spot as though Gaea would actually take full form. "This heathen does not belong here!" She shouted, "No more than his bastard father! Great Mother, why do you hinder me? Am I not your warrior? Am I not your weapon against these invaders and trants?!".....

On the wind the voice could be heard by Silver. "Yes, but the time is not right. Seek Merlin's advice. This one is of this earth, this land,even if he does not look it. Do as I say child."

Silver roared then in frustration, but she had little choice but to obey Gaea then and so she backed down, holding her arms out at her sides, her claws and hands exposed. She let her head drop down and she took some deep breaths. "As you wish, Great Mother." She said before turning her head back to her pack and her father. she nodded to them and growled for them to return to the den, but she did make a point to tell them any followers would not see dawn. She then cast her eyes to Merlin, who seemed as shocked and surprised as her at the events. "Speak Merlin and tell me what under the Gods is going on." She turned her back on Tryton entirely, ignoring him as he had done her.....

Tryton only heard like a muttering in the wind. He could not hear Gaea's voice, but he had saw the result on the woman with the claws. As it seemed Silver gave in, the wind died, the clounds vanished as did the storm. The Dire Wolves departed but the woman did not, and as they did the formation opened up to allow Tryton to enter. He then saw the look on the old mans face and raised a brow. He turned back and looked at the woman.

Silver could feel Tryton's eyes on her back as she moved towards Merlin, but she did not look back, nor acknowledge anything from him or his men. And needless to say, they did not entirely agree with his decision to stay, not after what they had just witnessed. Many of them desperately wanted the safety and security of their wall now, more than ever. As for Merlin, he slowly got to his feet and went back to sit on that old log. "Silver, there is much you do not understand yet." He said, "And much you have yet to learn. Sit child and heed my tale." Silver growled some, but sat down anyways, tucking her feet under her backside like a wolf and she sat in silence then. Merlin took a deep breath and then looked at Tryton through a slot in the armoured shell. "You and he share a bond with this land. His mother, like yours, was blessed with a direct link to the Great Mother. And like your mother, his was taken before her time. Had he the chance to see her time with her, he would have learned the secrets and loves of this land. Had you been given that same chance with Ambershay, she would have shown you much the same. As it stands, you both have been blinded by your hate. You are a weapon of Gaea, blessed and saved by teh Great Mother to correct the inbalance created by the invaders and to create the bloodline needed to protect the clans from another threat much later. As for the commander, I know not yet his place in this, but if the great Mother will not allow you to kill him yet, he must have some great significance in the grander picture of things. Perhaps it is the bond you share, perhaps not. All I do know is that you are not yet ready to face this threat. You have barely left your wolf mother's teat, Silver and have only seen a handful of summers." Silver lifted her head up, "I have seen no less than 17 of them. Most women of my age are already married off and given the first generation." Merlin smiled, but shook his head, "That is not enough for what is to come, child. You are not yet ready." Silver growled in her throat again before finally looking back at the humped shields that protected the prey from her claws. "Then I shall wait." She said darkly, "And when I am ready, I shall kill him.".....

Tryton could hear the conversation. The shield wall remained and closed upon his entrance. For now there seemed no danger and he commanded the soldiers back to their posts. The baracade was drawn in closer and watch fires lit. Tryton approached Merlin and Silver. He took his cloak off and handed it to Merlin. "See that she covers herself, she is among men here and I do not need them distracted." he looked at Silver. "If you can, remove her claws so she does not kill anyone that looks at her wantingly." he grinned. "What is this talk of her being some great warrior?" he asked Merlin. He had heard the old man explaining to her about how the two of them had simalar backgrounds. The name he had mentioned was familar. One his grandfather had spoken of. A woman that was said to have had great power of some sort. He had also said his mother had been like this woman. This also peaked his courisoty.

Silver growled as Tryton approached, but Merlin put his hand down to her, palm down and seemed to pat the air. "Calm child." He said quietly and then looked up at Tryton as the man seemed to hold out a cloak. "Distracted or not, Commander." He said, "She will not wear that, nor will she remove her claws. Silver is not like you or I in that respect. She is not bound by the same laws, nor will she be." He took the cloak, but pulled it around himself instead, offering her only the outer corner if she wanted or needed some comfort or warmth. Silver took it, curling up near his feet with her back still to Tryton. He took another deep breath. "Silver's human mother was a Druid of the highest order, Commander, one with a direct link to the Great Mother." He touched his heart, then his head and smiled. "Women such as her were revered by our people, respected and kept well for their health and well being was our own. They were the beloved of our people. In times of peace, they were our teachers. But in times of war, they could become warriors. Silver is one such warrior, though not by her choice. You see, she was battle born." He opened the cloak a little so Tryton could see the scar down her back, left by the man that killed her mother. "The Alpha that you have disgraced tonight was the one that became her father. He accepted her because he knew what she was and he treated her as he would his own. Her claws are of her own making, designed and created specifically to hunt and protect. The legends speak of this. The girl child is capable of much and so is much respected as a battle tactician and outright warrior in her own right. Though still young, she has already shown much of that knowledge by nature, but she has some ways to go and many lessons yet to learn before she can be unleashed upon the invaders and heathens you call brothers."....

Tryton listened and wondered about his own mother. But that was short lived as he looked at the claws Silver had on. "I have no quarl with her or the Pack, but if she is to come with us she will have to remove them. Keep them I have no qualms about, but once we reach the Wall there will be those that will not take kindly to such things and even though she might put up a fight and kill some, they will be taken from her and it will not go will for her. As for her being some special warrior that will defeat the legions of Rome...." he chuckled. "There have been such said about others and they are either dead or prisoners of Rome."

Merlin smiled then and shook his head, "She will not go to the wall with you and your men and nor shall I." He said almost matter of factly, "She will be gone by dawn without a trace and no matter how good you think your watch is, you will not see or hear her leave." He then shook his head, "You speak of Bodecia and those that followed after her. A woman of fine quality and once a fine warrior, but she was nothing compared to this girl." He looked at Tryton squarely then, his eyes flashing with a deep knowing. "It is because of a creature such as her that your superiors have fought long and hard to wipe out the Druid women. Your mother was a lucky one. She got to pass on her gift to you. Ambershay had a fleeting chance to do the same for Silver, but so many others have been robbed of that and such a loss can never be replaced. You would do well to heed that warning, young Commander, for one day soon, you shall see the true strength of Gaea for yourself and maybe, maybe not, you shall be spared her wrath as you may be spared Silver's. Until then, I would strongly suggest you stay south of your border and warn your brothers to stay away. What would happen beyond that line, I can no longer control.".....

Tryton laughed at the old man. "Rome does not fight your people to keep such as her from being. It fights to defend those that wish to have a better life, to live a civilized life. Look about you old man. You see these men here. They are not of Rome, they like me are from this land. All of us was born here and will stay here till we die. Our children will be born here and they inturn will stay here and defend those that wish to have what Rome has offered. Rome sent soldiers here to claim this land for the empire. They came and offered your people a better life but most refused. They were not just soldiers, but farmers, engineers, builders and the like. Look how your people here beyond the Wall live and those south of it live. They grow crops and raise livestock to feed themselves. Here you hunt wild beasts and gather what you can to eat. The mortality rate of your young is great but those south of the wall have the care and knowlege to lessen that greatly.

"You called them invaders. Perhaps that is true. But they came to bring a better life to your people and all you and most of your kind have done is slaughter those that accepted their ways and those that have tried to protect them. No old man we do not fight your people to keep one like her from being born, we fight to maintain the civilization that was brought here. That is the goal of Rome, to bring knowledge and civilization to those that lack it. To unite those that constantly fight their own kind. Tell me old man, how many of your people died from tribale warfare." he shook his head a bit. "In a sence we have accomplished one thing. We have united your people. As for you not being here in the morning, well we will make sure you are. As for her......." his voice lost its edge and hate, it was soft and held no malice. "She can stay or leave if she likes." he looked down at her. "I made the old wolf a promise and that I shall keep. No other soldiers will enter the forest where they have their den. Any fool that seeks to enter there is on their own and what fate befalls them is on their heads. I will not have soldiers go hunting for vengence" Again he motioned for two of his men to take the old man to the tent and make sure he was secured. A large stake was pounded into the ground and his chains were attached to it. "Sleep well old man.for tommorow you shall begin your journey to the Wall where you will be tried and executed for all those north of the Wall to see." With that he turned and went back to his own tent.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:18 am

Merlin looked back up at Tryton as he listened to the same dogma he'd heard so many speak over the years. And just like them, this poor boy had been brainwashed. It made his heart ache to know such a thing was still being ingrained in the youth. The night began to settle once more and Merlin was staked to the ground, literally. He shook his head and laughed quietly, knowing full well he would be gone by morning, the same as Silver. He had yet to find bonds that could not break to free him.

It took a number of hours, but while the guard outside was snoring away quietly, Merlin quietly slipped his hands through the iron. It took two dislocated thumbs and a bleeding lip, but he managed it and he slipped out under the back of the tent. Outside, Silver was already waiting by the edge of the trees....

Tryton had a rough time going to sleep. His hate for Merlin and desire to see him tortured and executed filled his mind. He rose and began making a circet of the camp. Out in the darkness he spotted two large yellow eyes watching the camp. The old wolf was still there watching. It made him smile. The woman, Silver, as Merlin called her had been raised by him and its mate. Evidently he felt that Silver would be returning to him and the Pack. Again he went beyond the barricade, even with the guards pleas that he not do so. He walked towards the yellow eyes and stopped when he could see the huge Dire Wolf. "I made you a promise and I will keep it. I would rather leave here as a friend then as an enemy. Even though I defeated you, you are the Alpha of your Pack. I give that back to you." he held out his arm and hand to the great beast, not really thinking that it would understand and place its paw in it. He had been told that they were extremely intelligent creatures, and of a handful of Celts that had actually made one a friend and loyal companion. Most he considered tales from his grandfather, but, one never knew.

The old Alpha growled and began to pace as Tryton came out to him. He had been waiting for a sign that Silver would be returning to him, but this was unexpected and it put him on edge. And yet, the human made no threatening move. Instead, it began to speaking to him and reaching out to him. The wolf stepped back at first and lowered his head, growling. He was offering friendship? Moving forward only half a step, the Alpha sniffed at Tryton's hand and then snapped at it to see what he would do. His hand never moved and the Alpha lifted his ears and then his head. Sitting down then, he lifted his great paw and landed it heavily on Tryton's arm. The weight alone could break bone, but the old wolf didn't intend for that. The touch was only brief, less than a heartbeat and then it was gone. The Alpha turnbed on his tail and made for the forest, he could smell Silver.....

Tryton smiled as the old Alpha placed its paw on his arm. It was massive and he could see where it could tear a man apart. But the old Alpha didn't. He had accepted Tryton's offer of friendship. When it had left he turned and reentered the camp to the wide eyed and slack jawed guards. He only laughed and continued on into the camp where he saw the dozing guards at the tent Merlin was in. His eyes narrowed and he kicked them awake as he looked into the tent. He gave a shrill whistle which brought men out of their tents with bows. The guards on the peremiter turned and looked inward. "I will deal with the two of you later." he told the two guards and ran around to the back of the tent where he saw the old man hobbling along.

"Not so fast old man." Tryton called out. He also saw Silver waiting for him. The archers arrived with drawn bows, aimed both at Silver and the old man. "You are not going anywhere and if she tries to help you escape, my men will not hesitate to shoot her. She may avoid an arrow or two, but not a dozen. I do not want to harm her, but if she attacks, I will have no choice."

Merlin turned his head, but he did not stop walking towards Silver. "Then I guess you will be famous for shooting an old man in the back!" He called, "How very noble of you, Commander." He nodded to Silver, who emerged some from the treeline, followed quite soon by her father. The massive wolf lifted his head at Merlin and the human he had no so long before, made friends with.....

Seeing the old Dire Wolf, Tryton waved his hand to signal the bowmen to lower their weapons. He moved fast, alot faster then the old man and reached him before he could cross the distance between him and the tree line. "You will be returning with us to face the charges against you." he said and grabbed Merlin by the shoulder. "You will pay for the murder of helpless women and children, and my mother." he did not consider his father's death murder. He had been a soldier and the men of the town were mostly that as well and had fought bravely and with honor. Their deaths were those of soldiers and of war. But the women and children that had died that day, that was pure and simple murder.

Merlin stopped and slowly turned his head to Tryton, "And still, you do not understand what happened that day." He said before turning his head to Silver. He gave a low nod and Silver lifted her head as she moved forward with her claws out and ready. "You believe that my torture and death would somehow justify what happened all those years ago? It will not bring back your mother, nor the children you played with, Tryton. My death will bring you no comfort, no closure. It will only deepen your grief."....

"I will have the satisfaction of knowing the the one responsible for their deaths has finally met his with the headsman's ax." Tryton said. "We deal with those that murder others. Even her mother's. "I was but a few years older then when you murdered my mother, when her mother and father was killed. Oh yes old man I know who they were and those that killed them had orders to bring them back alive. Their superiors wanted them to see what their people with Romes help had built and how they prospered and lived better then those beyond the Great Wall. For disobeying thier orders and killing them, they were all hanged, even their commander. Justice old man, for all not just those of Rome. So will you pay the price."

Merlin looked at Silver once more, knowing that she had heard exactly what he had heard, but it made no difference now. Like Tryton had said before, it didn't matter. "And how would you know what happened to those men?" He asked, "You were a boy, barely eight summers old as I recall when she was born. And Roman men rarely tell truth in such matters. I was there when Ambershay's body was returned to us. They had no intention of allowing her to live, nor the man that commanded them. The one that killed her drive his blade straight into her belly to kill Silver ebfore she was born. I have seen Rome's answer to peace, Commander. But peace at the end of a spear will never last.".....

"I know, because my grandfather took me to see their execution. When you spoke of Ambershay, the name was familiar, but I remembered now when I had heard it and when my grandfather told me of her and her husband, and that those that were hung had been the ones responsible and why they were being hung, and I am not of Rome, I do not lie." he told Merlin, "A man is judged by his word of honor. You will return with me to the Wall and you will pay for your crime! I would so dearly love to end your life here and now for those you murdered, but I am not like your savages and kill without reason. I have my orders and I will follow them. "

Merlin smiled almost distantly, "You still know nothing, do you boy." He said. "Your superiors have spent years tracking down and killing my sisters and brothers. You need only look into your soul to know I speak the truth. Yes, I was there when your mother was killed, but those men were not mine and they turned from my advice. I did not interfere because I could not. Those men believed your mother would be better dead than in the hands of the Romans any longer. They were mistaken, but they had also seen the devastation caused by Ambershay's murder. It is not such a big leap." He then shook his head, "But if you truly believe that my death would somehow bring justice, then so be it. But it will not come at your wall. She will not allow it." He then pointed to Silver....

It was then that they came. A group of Celts running wildly out of the forest. But they were not headed straight for the camp to attack it. They were running from something else. Moments after they had emerged, even more savage men, painted with wild designs all over their bodies came yelling and scraming war cries. One look was all it took. He let go of Merlin and yelled out, "Archers." and he pointed. Twenty four arrows flew from their bows and in the dark of the night fell silently among the Pics foremost attackers. Several went down as the arrows found their marks. Others tripped and fell over the dead bodies. By that time the soldiers were on their horses in the camp and moved out to Tryton, with his. He mounted and drew his sword. Putting his heels to the horses flanks, it leaped forward and his men followed. They plunged headfirst into the ranks of the Pics and began to hew a path through them.

The incoming arrows and then the thundering charge of the calvery was all it took to make them break and run back the way they had come. Once they were scattered Tryton returned to Merlin and Silver. "You were their leader, and responsible for their actions. Just like the Roman Commander was responsible for his men that killed Ambershay and her husband. Like him you did not try to stop them. Did not try to protect those that were being slaughtered. You are just as guilty as your men as was the Roman Commander."

He looked out at the band of Celts that had been running before the Pics. They saw the soldiers and grouped together to fight if the soldiers approached. But Tryton did not give such a command. "Leave them. Take no actions unless they attack." Then he turned back to Merlin."You will return with me, and if she tries to stop me then she to will go, but as a prisoner and your great warrior will not come to be." He pointed his bloodied sword at Merlin. "Or will you have the blood of another on your hands?"
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:30 am

Merline looked around quickly as chaos seemed to arrive from nowhere, but it wasn't just his tribesmen that came running through. Only a few heartbeats later, another band of men came running through, but these weren't tribesmen. Tribes from the Great North were unlike any anywhere else on the islands. The Romans called them Picts, after Pictland, where they had been found, but Merlin knew otherwise. These warriors had come from across the seas like the Romans had, but from the high North. Merlin didn't understand much of what they spoke, but he did understand a few words. Vikingar. That one word meant fear and death all across the northern territories and they really had nothing to do with the natives of Pictland.

Tryton went on the offensive and drove the painted warriors away again, but the tribesmen left behind were left somewhat in limbo then. They formed a tight circle, expecting the Romans to attack them, but Tryton ordered his men to stand down. They didn't understand this at first, but they then saw Merlin and understood what was happening. The old Druid had been captured. And then they saw Silver with the Dire Wolf.

In that instant, the Romans and Tryton was forgotten. The tribesmen turned to face Merlin, Silver and the Dire Wolf and every last man dropped to his knees. What they saw was what they had been told for generations. "Bean laoch! ((girl warrior))" One called as he stared openly at her. "Ban-dia! ((goddess))" Called another. And they all lowered their heads to her and to Merlin, who it was made clear was the silver haired girl's teacher. The Dire Wolf with her only served to entrench their belief that she was part Goddess and her gleaming claws and presence made it clear she was the warrior of legend.

At Tryton's side, Merlin turned his head to the commander and lifted his brow. "Somehow, I believe it is not the blood I have on my hands that you should now consider." He said with some caution. "My tribesmen believe they are in the presence of a warrior goddess and her teacher. They will not hesitate to defend both her and myself from you. So it would seem we are now at a deadlock. You take me, they attack. You kill them and she kills you. Gaea may intervene a second time, but can you truly rely on that alone?"
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Tryton looked down at Merlin. "Their blood will be on my hands but also on yours. For here you can stop them from doing something foolish and dieing. I have no desire to kill them, that is not my mission. But kill them I will if they attack. As for her." he nodded to Silver. "You told her she is not ready, and if your goddess did interven earlier, she did so with a purpose. Are you willing to go against her will?"

Merlin narrowed his eyes some, "So you understand the concept of the Gods after all, Commander." He said before turning his eyes to Silver. "No, she is not ready, but she will be soon." He then shook his head as Silver made to move forward. "Not this time, child." He said to her as he began to feel something stir beneath his feet. His time had come. "Commander." He said as he slowly turned away from Silver to face Tryton fully. "I hope that you will see your grandfather again soon. If you would kindly ask a favour of him for me. Would you tell him for me that though I failed him long ago, that I will return one day and set things right. And tell him thet Ambershay did not die in vain. He will understand, I promise." And then the ground began to shake beneath Merlin, making all back away quickly....

As the ground began to move beneath merlin he looked around to see what was going on. How was the ground moving? What was going on? "What are you doing?"

Merlin looked back at Tryton and shook his head, "It is not I that is doing this." He said, "The Great Mother has decided. Silver no longer needs my guidance. She knows now all I can teach her, so I must return to Gaea. I told you, Commander, I will not see your wall, nor will I see death at your hands." And just like that, the ground swallowed Merlin up and settled once more. At the treeline, Silver screamed in shock and horror. Her mentor, her only link with her human family had gone. Only the Alpha stopped her running to the place once occupied by the old Druid. Across the clearing, the tribesmen, though deeply shocked, never moved an inch, not daring interfere with the will of Gaea. Once it was all over, they scattered into the forest and the Alpha began pulling his daughter back and into the trees. Another day, he told her, another time. When she was ready. Silver glared at Tryton as she backed up with her father. "I will see you again, Roman and next time, Merlin and Gaea will not be there to save you."......

Tryton cursed. He had lost his prisoner. The ground had opened up and had taken him. This was something that he had never seen before. He didn't know what to think. He didn't beleive in gods, but something had happened that night that could not be explained. The Celts melted back into the forest and the silver haird woman Silver was drawn back into the forest by the Alpha Dire wolf. Again Tryton cursed and turned back to their camp. By morning it was packed up and they were headed back to the Wall. He would not report what he had saw. They would not beleive him. Even his men didn't really understand what had happened.

Once he had made his report he went to visit his grandfather. "What do you know of Merlin?" he asked and he relayed the message to him that Merlin had told him.

Hector, Tryton's grandfather was an old Briton that had long tired of war and fighting, but it seemed to run in the blood of his family. All but he and his grandson had lived and died by the blade and it didn't surprise him that one day he would have to burn his grandson like he had done his daughter. On that day and for a reason completely unknown to him, he began thinking of his beloved daughter and his former family line. It hadn't occured to him in more than twenty years to think on such things, but today, the memories simply refused to be put away. When Tryton came to his small home asking questions on that very matter, Hector finally understood what it meant. He needed his memories to educate his grandson. "Merlin, you say." He said with deep regret, "Now that is a name I have not heard spoken for many years, not above whisper of magic and conjecture. Has the Great Mother finally came to earth and claimed him?"......

"If you mean the ground swallowing him up, then yes." Tryton told him, "Now just who is he and what did he mean by his message, and what is this about a silver haired woman raised by the Dire wolves?"

Hector settled back in his fur covered chair and stared into his fire. "Long before you were born, before your mother was born, Merlin was the first born son of Jakob." He looked up at Tryton, wondering how the boy would handle the news he was about to receive. "I was the youngest, the 13th child of the 13th child. It was Merlin's task, set down by the Great Mother herself, to protect the bloodline, for one of us would herald a Ban-Dia. As it happened, it would be me and your mother was a chosen child. What we didn't know at the time, there was another that he was to protect. Her name was Ambershay, she was the 13th daughter of a High Priestess. Her husband, Silas, was the son of the tribe's chief. Merlin was meant to protect them both for one or indeed both of them would cross the divide between the earth and the skies. That was according to the legend of course and it wasn't until his later years that he finally believed his calling." His eyes remained on the fire as he recalled his tale. "I had the pleasure of meeting Ambershay once. It was only a fleeting moment, barely a glance in each other's direction, but I could feel the power in her. It was so much stronger than Mina's, it put me on edge. Then, a Roman legion hunted her down and murdered her before she could bring to bare the next generation of Druid blood. At least, that was what I believed until now. If she did not die in vain, then she birthed a daughter, a true Ban-Dia. A warrior of such calibre that only a matching force can divinate and control.".....

This was all confusing to Tryton. "You are saying that Merlin is your Brother, my Great Uncle. But he let my mother, your daughter be murdered. How could a blood relative let such a thing happen. He should have protected her."

Hector nodded, "A mistake that he spent the next twenty years trying to put right." He said, "I know not the entire details of what happened that night, for I was not there, but I understand that when she died, the Great Mother spoke to him, commanding him to find her last goddess and protect her. That was Ambershay. He felt that maybe if he could protect her and her family, that maybe he could begin to repay the blood owed his own. Do you remember that I took you to the trial of those convicted of murdering her?".....

"Yes I remember." he told him. "You told me what thery had done and why they were being hanged. The silver haired woman,Silver is her child. Born that night Ambershay was killed."

Hector nodded, "If she was battle born, then it would explain so much these past years, Tryton. Legend says that a Ban-Dia born of battle and death will have the true warrior's blood in her. Silver haired you say?".....

Tryton nodded as he leaned back in his chair. "Tell me of these old legends. What is this all about?

Hector smiled then and nodded, "Gladly, son." He said with some pride. "Every culture has their own legends and stories passed down throught he generations. Some are warnings, others a beacon of hope. The legends of my people turn around three gods. The Great Mother Gaea, the Lunar Goddess of the night and the Great Father Sky. The legend of the Ban-Dia and Bean Laoch is both a warning and a beacon. It is said that she is created when the Great Mother and Great Father cross the boundry between the beast and the man and come together as one. It happens only in times of great disturbance and death to her beloved children, the Dire Wolf. The girl child, and it is always a girl child that is born, can either teach and guide the next generation, or forge war on those who seek to destroy her people. This Silver as you call her, was battle born, so she has no choice in what she becomes. The blood of the warrior flows undiluted through her in order for her to survive. She sees no good or evil in the world, no difference between men and their politics, and she is not bound by the laws of men. She understands only blood and family and she will do whatever Gaea demands of her to restore the balance of the land she belongs to. And when she is ready, it is said that Gaea will come to her and unleash her upon the unbalance with all the force of nature behind her. Many believe the Ban-Dia has come to be a storm of some kind that wipes everything out in one fatal motion, but there are some that hold true to the original stories. Those like Merlin, who were shown the truth in their failure and myself in that brief moment I met her mother." He leaned forward then in his chair and regarded his grandson with pride and care. "If this Silver is deemed ready by Gaea, then what will come to those that ravage her land and people, will be nothing short of oblivion. She will not stop until Gaea commands her, or she meets an opposing force strong enough to make the Great Mother take notice. You have seen her with your own eyes, so you must believe at least in part some of what I have told you. Is she truly unique in her beauty and style as the stories foretell?"....

Tryton closed his eyes and smiled. He chuckled. "Y ou could say that grandfather. She was naked and from I understod only 17. But she looked to be a full grown woman." Then he thought of the storm. "We were confronted by the pack of Dire Wolves. I had defeated their alpha but she was determined to fight me. The sky sudeenly darkened and lightning struck the ground between the wolves and me and when she tried to back up again a bolt of lightning prevented her from backing up or leaving. If this was Gaea's doing, why protect me? I am the enemy am I not?"

Hector smiled and nodded, "That would be about right with the death of Ambershay." He said before looking at his grandson. That smile was unmistakeable, the chuckle even more so. "Of course she would look fully grown, but what you see on the outide, is not always what is within. Give her a few more years and you will understand what I mean, son." He then considered the story of what happened between them and nodded, "The Alpha would know what she is, no doubt it would be him that claimed parentage of her. If she has lived and grown among Dire Wolves, then of course, ideas of clothing and such would not occur to her. If you shamed him, then she would of course try to defend him. Would you not do the same if someone came along and removed my standing before you? Gaea interfering when she did is strange, but she is not yet ready to face you, so it is natural for the Great Mother to protect her creation. But you are also her creation in part. You are not the enemy, not yet. Your mother's blood runs through you and keep you bound to this land. If you can keep that bond strong and pure, then perhaps you will survive what will be unleashed. Give up that bond for Rome and you will certainly become that enemy. Perhaps the Great Mother is waiting to see which path you will choose before she decides your fate.".....

Bond with the land. He had already told Silver and Merlin that this was his land as well. He had no desire to go to Rome or to leave his Briton. He would defend those behind the wall with his dieing breath. They were his people. Those beyound the wall were savages and he wanted nothing to do with them, but they to were his people as well. "This is my land Grandfather, and I will not leave it nor will I see it ravaged. Those here, I think feel the same way even if Rome only wants its wealth and slaves. What do you suggest Grandfather."

Hector reagrded his grandson once more and smiled, "That is one choice I cannot make for you, son." He said with pride, "It is a decision you must make utterly alone. All I would ask is where your heart truly lies. With the red cloth and mindset of your father, or with the earth and heart of your mother. You have time, Tryton, so use it well before you decide which side of this war you truly stand on. Others of your mix will have that same choice and they will make theirs in time. Whatever you do choose, you will be loyal to until your dying breath. I doubt very much I will still walk this land by the time your fate is decided, but whatever that fate may be, take faith in the knowledge that the Great Mother will embrace you with an open heart when your blood goes back to the earth it came from. All you have to decide with that is to whom that blood will flow for, the Vikingar, or the Ban-Dia." He smiled then and settled back in his chair once more. "How I envy you, Tryton." He mused, "To have seen her with my own eyes and bow down to her. Such an honour to stand before her and admire her fury, you are truly blessed and I am jealous.".......

The way his grandfather spoke, he would have to make a choice on being with Rome or with his people of Briton. Now that was a tough thing to think about. Roman influence had shaped his life from the time he had been borned. What his mother could have taught him was something he would never know. But he was sure she would have taught him about the ways of her people and perhaps more. Hector had tried, but he had grown up among the Roman soldiers. His generation was raised as soldiers and his hundred men were all half Roman and half Briton, but born in Briton and therefore a part of it. His men were loyal to him and would follow him anywhere. Most had families in the large town that was south of the wall. Siblings and a mother that was of Briton and father's that were once from Rome but had taken land in Briton and now considered themselves apart of the country. He indeed had much to think of as he left his grandfather's place and sought his own modest chamber of rooms.

Time passed and he never seen nor did he hear about the silver haired woman Silver. He made many trips to that part of the land beyond the wall, and true to his word he kept others from going there. Only he and his men did, but they never entered the forest where the Dire Wolves den was. Perhaps one day the old Alpha would come forth and allow him to see it. It had been a couple years since he that day and he was in his rooms when he was called before his commanding officer. "Tryton, we have heard some disturbing reports from the north. There seems to be a new threat to this land from a people called the Vikingar. It seems they are trying to create an outpost in the north so that they can mass their warriors and head south. They dare not try to attack us here south because of our own ships and troops. But once massed they could pose a greater threat then the Celts to the north. I am sending you to the far north with your calvery to see what kind of force already exists there and what our options are going to be. They are a threat to us and to the Celts. Perhaps this will show them that we are not the evil demons they think we are." The General had a large estate to the south, many miles to the south and well away from any of the raids that took place. He was a wealthy man and one that would never return to Rome. Though Roman by birth he now felt more at home in Briton then he ever had in Rome.

That day, Tryton gathered his men and let them know that they were going to be gone for a long time. Perhaps many months and into danger. He gave them time with their families and with in the week they were on their way north. They had a wagon loaded down with supplies and equipment for their camps and a few extra men that were cooks and servants that rode in a couple other wagons. Weeks past and they had not seen any sign of Celts along their way which seemed strange to Tryton. They passed through several villages that were empty of people and everything. They finally hit the coast of the northern part of Briton and from the cover of a forest they saw the reason for the empty villages. There in a cove, was several long ships and on the land behind a wooden Palacasde was a large town of the vikigans. His Commander had been right and indeed had reason to worry. He had his men fall back several miles before they made their camp and began to build their own fortifications. They would spy on these Vikigans and see what their numbers were.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:37 am

After that day in the forest, Silver learned her most hated lesson and realised the reason why Merlin and her pack had kept her so well hidden from the world of men. From that day onward, she obeyed the laws of the pack and took her place once again among the juveniles to earn her right again. In his small village, Hector remained in his jealousy for his grandson, but used it to forge something good in the boy, teaching him all he knew and remembered of the ways of the Briton, the religion and culture Rome had fought so hard to eradicate and to rediscover his true bond with the earth from which he had been born.

when the winter of that year finally arrived, it brought both prosperity and failure to both sides of the wall. In her forest, Silver and her pack moved from their summer den, her new siblings being strong enough by then to make the dangerous journey west into the mountains. Word had spread by then of her discovery and the Dire Wolf pack that had taken up residence within their territories. The tribes of that area had the knowledge and respect to leave the pack alone, offering the Great Mother the time and chance to finish her work with the emerging Ban-Dia. And the pack did indeed prosper greatly. At least, the majority of them did.

That year, the Great Mother kept winter alive much longer than usual. The snows came strong and deep, covering the land half a man deep in most places, some neck deep. There seemed no real reason behind it, but the Britons faired better than their Roman occupiers, so her logic was placed there. However, it did come with much collateral damage too. Hector, like many of his generation, began to falter in the deep cold and he died of fever not long after the year's turning on the solstice. Her met his death with a smile and kind words for his beloved grandson that he would be with him on the east wind and to listen for him. In the mountains, Silver held much the same place as she watched her own parent and guardian go the same way. A minor scuffle left the Alpha with a wound that would not heal. He too met his end with his beloved pack around him and his beloved furless daughter curled up by his shoulder, howling for the Great Mother to be merciful and end his pain.

The fight for control over the pack was brief but brutal and by the end of that winter, Silver emerged victorious. With her father's hide and fur adorning her, his head forever above hers in respect and dignity, she took her place. Now her true learning began and it came in trial by fire so to speak. The winter had left the mountain passes impossible to recover, so Silver could not return her pack to the forest and it wold ne nearly the end of that summer that the journey could be made. The beginning of the year would be harsh and trying for most.

As the harvest began that year, Silver felt that calling from the Great Mother. It happened as a dream, a vision of blood covered wings and fur, and iron. It was of violence and death and it woke Silver in a cold sweat. She had to seek out the tribes of Druids that still roamed the lower mountains to the east. She arrived with them expected and respectfully waiting for the moment she would come to them. Having told them of her vision, she was quickly prepared to receive the marks and prayers Gaea had sent her. Her screams that night would echo through the land.

Bound to the tall stones of their altar, the Druids brought forth the iron of her dream, forged from the Great Mother and shaped into the tribal wings of Father Sky. As the Lunar Goddess shone in her full glory at the equinox, those iron wings were branded into her forehead, marking her forever as the Ban-Dia Laoch. While the wound still burned, Silver was bathed in the blood of an oxen to cement the prayers and to help heal the wound. The sacrifice had been made and the Gods had been honoured. Silver returned to her pack with her new knowledge, her connection clearly seen and her link with the land beneath her deeper than ever.

That winter that followed was mild and ended early, giving rise to an early spring and a clear path home to the forest once more. Now 20 years old, Silver had come into her own and it showed. She had finally grown into her body and she had bloomed. But that wasn't all that had bloomed within her. The warrior blood so deep seated in her soul had come to fruition and was now fully in control of everything she did and felt. And she felt much from Gaea. The early spring brought it a threat she had not seen for nearly two years. The painted Norsemen, the Vikingar had returned and this time, they had brought armies with them.

With her pack, Silver forged a path North and East, up the coast to discover this threat and remove it. She could not have known that the Commander would be on that same path and it seemed Gaea had no intention to tell her either. However, Silver did make it there first and she soon laid waste to the first and second assault on the coastline. On her journey to the coast, Silver and her pack had passed through many territories and each elder, having seen the Ban-Dia Laoch with their own eyes, followed without question or hesitation, bringing every able bodied tribesman and woman with them. Silver had gathered her own army, led by her Dire Wolves. 100,000 warriors met the Vikingar head on and were victorious. But Silver knew they would not give up. Her lands were still rich in many things despite the Romans rape and plunder of it. That would of course, be dealt with when the Vikingar had been removed.

After the second assault was stopped dead, the Viking King himself made the journey from his ship to see for himself what his men were calling a great Valkyrie dressed in Wolf hide that had halted his invasion and laid waste to his armies. This Valkyrie, this woman in wolf's clothing, he had to meet her and know her, and either destroy her or join with her. He landed with his personal guard and drove his blade deep into the sand as a show of peace. He met with Silver and knew instantly that this young warrior outmatched him in almost every way, but pride refused to let him back down, so he was forced to make a deal with Silver. Allow him the land he sought and the trade and he would lend her the armies she wanted to remove the common enemy that resided south of the great wall. He even promised her rule of his lands in return as his queen, for she had that quality about her and uniqueness that was undeniably divine in nature. Such a union would be unstoppable. Silver did not see it that way. She left the talks with the King's head strapped to her back and his young son to assume his mantle.

It took some weeks, but the new King replenished his ranks, vowing vengeance on the wolf warrior. Silver allowed this, wanting to see what this new king would be made of. She had chosen well, for he had soon fortified his township and had armed his people to the teeth with the best his father's gold could buy. She paced the hilltop with her general as she watched the scene unfold beneath her. And then a howl caught her attention. A scouting juvenile had spotted movement towards the town. Silver quickly made her way along the ridge to see for herself.

"Well now." She said quietly to herself, "The Romans finally decide to join the party. They must have grown tired of sucking cock behind their wall." She watched as the legion, once marching forward towards the town, back off and take refuge, or retreat several miles away into the forest. Clearly, they did not wish the new king to discover them so soon. Besides, they were badly outnumbered despite Silver's earlier destruction. "Have the council convene at the Great Stone." She said to the Dire Wolf that served as her general. It was in fact, her brother from the same year's litter. "And send a messenger to the Romans, find out what they are doing here and invite their commander to the table." He nodded to her and left to gather the humans for the meeting. Silver then turned from the hill and disappeared into the forest.

Shortly after their fortifications were set, a young boy no older than a dozen summers arrived as messenger. He looked nervous, but he knew he was well protected. At his side, there was a Dire Wolf, his own personal protection. "I am sent to speak with your commander." He said as he held out a branch of willow. It marked him as a peaceful messenger and to harm him would anger the Gods. Not to mention the Dire Wolf that protected him. He was instantly taken to Tryton. Having looked around the tent a little, the boy put the willow down before Tryton and bowed his head in respect. "The Goddess Warrior wishes to know your purpose this far North of your wall." He said in his natural tongue. "And to offer you a place at the table to discuss your actions. I am to take your reply back unhindered."
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 am

Tryton sat in his tent and thought back over the last two years. He missed his grandfather. He had been his council and more. He had taught him all he could about the old ways and about the Ban-Dia. There had been several in the past, each coming at a time when they had been needed. Gaea was the Earth Mother and ensured that there would be one when ever the need arose. It seemed Silver was the one chosen to defend her people from Rome. He buried his grandfather with all the fan fair that a tribal chieften deserved. The people gathered from all over the south for the funeral. For he had been loved and respected by many. Many of his family was there as well. Tryton's cousins and a hand full of his Uncles and Aunts that were now old themselves and would soon pass on to the next life. He even thought he saw the old man Merlin among the crowd. His hate for the man had not lessened but he would not hunt him. He was family and that was something his grandfather had taught him and taught him well. Family mattered, family was family and no mater what.

That winter was the worst that Trylon had seen in his life. It lasted longer then it should have and had been a good thing that the people had stored their excess grain from the growing season before. They needed it for the following year to feed them and their live stock. It was some hard times but the people worked through it. Now he sat in the north east making his plans for the war that was surely to come. He was a hundred against thousands as it seemed to be in the fortified town of the Vikinar.

When the young boy arrived with the Dire Wolf he smiled. So Silver was in the area and it seemed she had her pack with her. He wondered about the old Dire Wolf he had made friends with. But before he could accept the offer one of his men entered and spoke. "Sir a large force of Vikinar have been spotted moving along the coast towards a village." Tryton knew that that village would be wiped out, every man woman and child. So much for trying to remain unnoticed.

"We ride then." he told the soldier, who left calling out commands. The sound of a hundred men preparing for battle could be heard along with the horses. "Come boy." Tryton said, and then looked at the Dire Wolf, "You to." he smiled at the wolf. He rose and left his tent. His horse was brought to him and he mounted up, pulling the boy up behind him. Every man was now mounted and Tryton lead them out and towards the coast not to far away from them. Beside him rode the standard barrier. The Eagle with out streached wings, unknown to Tryton at the time, it was very simalar to Silvers mark. The pace was fast and they broke from the forest on to the grassy plain. The scout that had seen where the enemy was and where the village was pointed the way and at a gallop the hundred rode.

They found themselves slightly behind the Vikinar and they were already engaging the defenders of the village. The Vikinar were in formation, trained to fight as a unit while the Celts were not. They had never seemed to be organized properly when battling the soldiers of Rome. They would charge and throw themselves at the Soldiers again and again. They lacked training and discipline. Any victory they had was because of sheer numbers, or in the forests where formations were almost imposible. Those in the front were quickly cut down and the rest would have followed, but Tryton drew his sword, and put his heels to the flanks of his horse and charged, and was followed by his men. They hit the rear of the Vikinar's and smashed through them. Tryton's sword moved from one side to the other, cutting down the painted warriors as did his men. Some tried to run, but they were quickly run down and killed. Before long Tryton stood before the defenders of the village on his horse. They young boy held on to Tryton and the Dire stood to his right, its maw blood covered. His standard barer rode up on his left and all eyes of those from the village turned to look at it. "By the Goddess." one of the men spoke. "She has sent you here." At the time Tryton had no idea of what he was talking about. If he had meant Gaea, then perhaps she had.

The boy slid from the back of the horse and looked up at Tryton and the standard. "Shall I inform the Goddess Warrior that you shall come?" Tryton nodded, "Evidently she knows where my camp is and I know not where she is. If she wishes, she may come to my camp with her commanders and I will gureentee their safety there and that they will be free to leave when ever they wish. I am not here to fight her or her people." The boy nodded and with the Dire Wolf at his side ran off towards the north west. To the man that had spoke he turned and said, "Collect their weapons and armor, bury the bodies or take them out to sea and dump them. Erase any trace that they have been here." The man looked at Tryton and then did something he did not expect. He went to his knees as did the others. Tryton shook his head and turned his horse back towards camp and was followed by his men.

The young boy arrived a day latter at the place where Silver and her commanders were. He told her of Trytons ride to save the village and how he and his warriors had destroyed the Vikinars and how he carried her standard. He also told her what he had said about meeting at his camp and that he was not their to fight her or her people.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Though Silver knew the boy would be gone a while, she didn't think it would be as long as it was. But she didn't have time to linger on such a matter. The Dire Wolf would protect him, she knew that much. It seemed a skirmish had broken south along the coastline to attack a settlement there. Silver was all ready to go and defend the village, but no sooner had she left camp, word arrived that another had been spotted making their way there also, accompanied by a Dire Wolf. Her messenger. She turned back to her fort knowing the village would be just fine. And eventually, her young messenger returned with the reply she had been expecting and a wonderful story to go with it. No doubt the Roman had given the boy a taste for adventure now. She sent him back to his mother with a smile and a pat on the head.

Now, Silver had a choice to make. She and the Elders could leave the safety of the fort and go to Tryton, or she could risk him knowing their location by having him brought to her instead. The latter sounded the lesser of evils. She called for her brother, for he looked the most like their father and Tryton would recognise that. "Bring the Roman to me. He can bring his camp with him if he wishes it, but he will come to me, understand?" The Dire Wolf grunted his understanding and pulled off another branch of willow. He took it to Tryton.

Entering the camp, the general could feel the nerves in the humans around him. And even though he carried the willow, he couldn't shake the feeling that perhaps he should have done this differently. At least communicating with Tryton would be easier than any of his men. He had been there when Tryton had challenged his father and when Silver had broken their laws to defend him. This human understood their ways and respected them, or so it seemed. Following his nose, he made straight for Tryton's tent and strolled in before literally dropping the drool laden branch on him.....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:11 pm

Tryton heard the call from the palaisade and ordered the wolf to be allowed in. He was a magnificent speciman of his kind and reminded him of the the old Alpha. As the dire wolf appoached him he stood there and waited. The wolf dropped the branch at his feet and looked up at him and then turned his head back the way he had come. "So she does not trust me." he could see how she would not.

"Very well I will go with you." he said with a chuckle. He called for his horse which was brought. Even with the dire wolf there it did not panic, nor did it seem to mind its presence. Animals had a way of knowing when danger was close and when things were alright. More so then humans. He gave orders for the work to continue on building the defenses of the camp. The ditch had to be dug, the wood palasaide built and a watch tower as well. They were not in the forest but outside it on a grassy knoll.

He followed the dire wolf back through the forest. They had traveled for some time before he saw the fort if one were to call it that. There was no deep ditch around the wooden Palasaide and he could see a half dozen points where armed men could take advantage of the weakness and be within the walls wreaking havoc. There were no outer guards, or patrols. He chuckled. "Some Goddess Warrior." he mumbled, "She will have every one of her men slaughtered." He could see that Silver needed some one to teach them how to defend and to wage war. He rode into their sol called fort and looked around and shook his head.

He then saw the silver hair of Silver and raised a brow. She had filled out more and looked magnificent, even with the head and skin of the dire wolf she wore. He recgonized it as the old Dire Wolf and sadness filled his heart. He had hoped to rekindle the friendship he had made that day two years ago. He dismounted and approched her and what looked to be a group of old men.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Somehow, Silver could sense Tryton arriving long before she could see him and she could smell him not long after that. It made her nose hurt the stink of him, but she figured she would smell just as bad to him probably and it had been a while since she'd last bathed. What she sensed most though was his assumptions about her little fort and she couldn't help but smile at his feelings on the matter. "You smile, Silver." Said one of the Elders, "Does the Roman amuse you?"
"Actually, he does, Sir." She replied smoothly, "I can feel his thoughts on our little fort and our armies. He feels me foolish." And just as he walked into the canvas covered room. "Isn't that so, Roman Commander. Or is it Legionnaire Captain now?" She turned to face him slowly, feeling his change in mood at seeing her again. she could feel the comparison he made between what he had seen two years ago and what he saw before him now. She also felt the sadness for the old Alpha. As he dismounted his horse, she turned somewhat to the side and looked at him sideways. "As always Tryton, my father's head will forever remain above mine. It would please him to see you again." She turned her back on him then and entered the tent. Then and only then did she remove her father's pelt and she placed him with pride in the centre of a small table so he could still preside over things as she felt he should. The flap of the tent was left open as an invite to Tryton and once she and the other Elders had taken their seats, she gave the Roman Commander her full attention......
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:15 pm

He entered the tent and looked around. He had felt the unease of the Celts that packed the fort. He was dressed in his Roman armor and clothing. Many of them he figured had fought the legions at one time or another and had no real love for Romans. "I am still just a commander of my cohort of horsemen." he told her. "I do not seek to raise myself up the ranks any further." he looked upon each of the elders. More then likely there was a price on each and everyone of their heads. He could see the mistrust in their eyes and the dislike of having him there.

It was then he noticed the rand mark on her forehead of the out streached wings. He looked at the head and skin of the old Dire Wolf and reached out and touched it. "We became friends that day." he told her. "I gave him back his power and leadership of the Pack. I wish I could have gotten to know him more. My grandfather told me such friendships are very rare among human and Direwolves. He also told me much more about my people here."

He took the only seat left. "As I told you long ago, this is my land as much as it is yours. I was born here and this is where I will die and be burried. This is also true for all those in my cohort. Not one of them is from Rome or lands other then Briton." He stared down every elder there as he talked. "Before you tell me why you wish to talk to me, let me point out a few things to you. I have seen a half dozen places in your wall that are weak and can be exploited by the Vikinars if they come. You have no deep ditch to make any desend and try to get up to your wall again, and also prevent them from moving any type of siege equipment up to your walls to get over them. Your men are undisciplined and do not fight together as units but as individuals. The Vikinars are well trained, well disciplined in battle and if you have fought them you have only won because of sheer numbers or because they thought that you would be easy prey."

He looked about the table and asked, "Who here has lead men into battle against the legions and lost great numbers of your warriors?" There were a number that almost snarled at his question and he knew they had. Then he looked at Silver, "Do you wish to lead your people to victory or to their slaughter?"

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm

The mistrust when Tryton entered the tent wasn't just palpable, Silver could actually taste it in her mouth and she couldn't help but smile about that. No doubt he didn't trust them much either. When he said he had no intention to rise further in the ranks of the Roman army, Silver lifted an eyebrow in some surprise, but perhaps not entirely. He didn't seem the type to keep wanting more. He came to the table and reached out to touch her father's pelt and she lowered her head some in respect. "Yes, such a friendship is very rare, but meant it not to be." She turned her head away then and looked towards the entrance of the tent as he took the last seat and spoke of his want to stay and die on these lands. She nodded her understanding, but then smiled once more as he began pointing out the supposed failures in her defences and battle tactics. Just as she predicted.

With a small giggle from Silver, the other Elders also began to laugh quietly. Silver shook her head and waved her hand lightly for them to quieten. "Commander, please, allow me to enlighten you a little." She smiled and looked to each of the Elders around the table before looking back at Tryton. "It is not what you see that should concern you, it is what you have not seen. There is no dyke because there doesn't need to be one. The closeness of the trees prevents any formation and what weak points you think you see are hardly what you assume them to be." She leaned forward on the table some and looked Tryton right in the eye. "Two years ago, when you first saw me, my pack was twenty with another eight as pups. We now number thirty and at least ten more whelps as well as pups. Believe me, Commander, there is nothing living or dead that can make it past them without being known. And these so called weak spots in my defences are designed specifically to look that way. Should the Vikingar actually find us and form some kind of attack based on these weaknesses, they will soon find themselves seeing the doors of Valhalla. When I led the first attacks on them as they landed their ships, I lost no more than a hundred warriors. They lost thousands, up to and including their King. So please, the next time you feel the need to question our tactics, perhaps you would do better to leave the assumptions at the door. You are more than welcome to join us, Commander, but this is not your opportunity to lead. You will answer to me as the Elders do and as I do to Gaea, understand?"
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Tryton shook his head. She was playing a dangerous game. Yes the dire wolves would be a force that would be powerful and dangerous. But she had not seen what he had seen when him and his cohort attakced and destroyed the vikinar force sent to take the village. Evidently they had dire wolves in their own part of the world, for many wore them as trophies or to show that they had killed one. These vikinar's knew how to kill dire wolves and were not afraid to face them.

Perhaps she had to lose a battle with great loses to understand what he had been trying to say and tell her. She was new at being a warrior goddess and to warfare itself. Tryton had over ten years experience in fighting the Celts. He had seen their weaknesses and could exploit them. The Vikinar would do the same. They would learn from past battles and know where to strike. To confirm his thougts, a messenger arrived to report on a battle that took place a couple days prior further north. The man went to his knees before Silver. "My pardon Warrior Goddess. But I bear bad news from the north. One thousand of our finest warriors found two hundred of the vikinars moving into their lands and attacked. They were all slaughtered by the two hundred vikiners. They only lost a few men."

Tryton closed his eyes and again shook his head. "Do what you wish." he told Silver, "They have learned and if you go against them, your warriors will be slaughtered. He rose to his feet and turned to leave. "I was going to offer you my help and that of my men in training yours to fight like we do. I command my men and only I. Here I answer to no one except perhaps one, the same one that you do. For she seems to have her eye on me for some reason and made sure I came here." he chuckled. "For once I think I have begun to beleive in at least one God, or goddess. My grandfather would have been happy to see this day." with that he walked out of the tent and to his horse.

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:54 pm

The receipt of such bad news made Silver's breath catch in her throat and she stared at the messenger with some disbelief. So many lost in such a short period and by the hand of so few Vikingar. It was a heavy loss for the Northern tribes and a heavy loss for her too. "When did this happen?" She asked quickly.
"Just after dusk." The messenger said, "It seemed the Vikingar used the fading light to their advantage." He looked at Tryton cautiously, having heard the last few words of what he considered an insult to the Ban-Dia.
Every eye then shot to Tryton, including Silver's. "How very Roman of them." She said quite openly. It was no secret that the Romans would often attack at or just before dawn and at or just after dusk. "It would be rude not to return that favour." The Elders around the table agreed, but Silver's eyes remained on Tryton. "Prepare an envoy to the Vikingar encampment. I'd like to know which Romans he has been talking to." And with that, she got to her feet and left the tent.

Tryton's horse had been held quite close to the path Silver was taking to her private tent and she saw him move to mount up and leave. She said nothing to him, but her eyes glittered at him nonetheless. As she moved nearer, Tryton's horse became skittish over her presence. A predator was still a predator. In response, Silver tilted her head to the side and cooed at the beast before she moved to him. With her claws up her forearms, she carefully reached out and rubbed the horse's nose and cooed again. "Easy now. I will not hurt you." The horse snorted at her, blowing her hair back to reveal the full extent of the brand on her forehead and she smiled before kissing the beast tenderly. "If it would please you, inform your master that if he must insist on embarrassing me, would he kindly keep it private between him and I, for I would dislike to keep that particular promise." She kissed the horse's nose again and walked away then without even looking at Tryton.
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by questor Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Tryton left Silver's so called fort. Even with surprises for any that exploited the weaknesses left by her, would over come them and aniliate everyone within the fort. Just like those of old that his grandfather had told him about, Silver thought that she could do anything and win every battle. Every General on down the line, even Tryton knew that every battle could not be won. But that was against a force that was trained and well disciplined. The Celts did not have that. He would wait and observer and when she had lost a significant amount of her warriors in lost battles, perhaps she would come to him for help. He returned to his own encampment and sent out his own scouts and spies. Hours after one left he returned to tell Tryton that the village they had saved was now empty. The people had fled south and he told Tryton that the cove that the fishing village was on was deep and would make an excellent port for any ship. That perhaps that was why the Vikingar wanted it.

"They will send more, in larger numbers. But the villigers are safe." But it worried him that the Vikingar could have a second stronghold on the coast.

The Envoy to the Vikingar encampment, returned with out his head on his horse, lead by a young lad of ten. "The Vikingar King sends you this message. He will aniliate you and your warriors and then proceed south to destroy the Romans. He will make this land his and all that live here his slaves. If asked about any Romans among the Vikengar. "There be none there and never have been. They relish the day they can fight the Romans. They say that they are a worthy Enemy to fight."

The young boy that had been sent as a messenger to Tryton approached Silver. "Why did the Roman save the people of the fishing village. Are they not our enemy. There are also some here that said two years ago, he saved them and others from a marauding band of Vikingars. He does not seem like those that many talk about. Is he here to help us?"

questor

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyRaven Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Silver received the boy with a warm meal, showing that unlike his Viking masters, she did not murder messengers and envoys. When he had delivered his message, she let him go of his own will and sat down to consider her options. This boy King was just as vicious, if not more so than his father before him, it made for an interesting and rather more dangerous war than she had given credence to.

Sat with her map then, she began going over the places the Vikingar had tried to land their ships. Each place had two things in common. Sand and harbour with deep water. That meant their ships were deep on the draft and having seen them up close so to speak, she wondered how best she could stop them. Deep harbours meant fishing boats. Fishing boats meant fishing nets and lines. Silver grinned. She would lace the openings of the near harbours with the abandoned nets and then dredge the beach with heavy horse to make it impossible for the smaller boats to make shore. The heavily armoured Viking soldiers would be bogged down and probably drown in quicksand. She called for one of her human generals and gave him the orders. He left again quickly, taking twenty heavy horse with him.

Not long after that, a familiar face came into her tent and she greeted him warmly. He had many questions, as would be expected of a boy such as him and she happily answered them all as best she could. "He saved them because he's not like other Romans, child." She said as she created a small braid at the nape of his neck. "Yes, the Romans are our enemy, but the Commander is not entirely Roman. Part of him belongs to this land as we do and he doesn't want to see his blood fall into the hands of the Vikingar." She then tilted her head as he brought up the memory of their first meeting and the first attacks. She nodded, "He did, aye, child, but I doubt very much he did it for the reasons you think. He protected his men first and foremost, I believe. They are like him, half bloods. I do believe he is here to help, but to help you and your kin, not I. He thinks me a foolish girl who will see all my people die and my defences fail." She shook her head at the shock in the boy and kissed the tip of his nose lightly. "There are losses in every war, more in some battles than others. Like the news I received today. Many thousands of our best warriors were lost a few days ago to the Vikingar, but before that, many of their thousands were lost and we lost very little. Even in war, there is a balance to be struck. The Great Mother would not allow it otherwise. She will guide the Commander as she guides me and you. When she believes he should return to us, she will send him. Until then, we continue our fight alone and hope she will tip the odds in our favour." This seemed to placate the boy some and she sent him back to his mother with his small braid still tight in his hair....
LadyRaven
LadyRaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next